best alpine tent for above base-camps

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
scottmiller

best alpine tent for above base-camps

by scottmiller » Tue May 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Hi folks, would appreciate thoughts on what is the best tent for camping above Base Camp at altitude.

Obviously, lighter the better, so thinking the BD First Light, but are there other options available that exceed this tent? Light double-skin for example? Thanks in advance!

Kai

by Kai » Tue May 25, 2010 11:47 pm

First light is the standard.

You can get stronger tents (Rab, Integral Designs, etc.) with similar configuration, but the firstlight is lightest and likely strong enough.

Some people like the Stephenson R2. It's the only option I know of that is lighter than the Firstlight.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Wed May 26, 2010 12:24 am

Kai wrote:First light is the standard.

You can get stronger tents (Rab, Integral Designs, etc.) with similar configuration, but the firstlight is lightest and likely strong enough.

Some people like the Stephenson R2. It's the only option I know of that is lighter than the Firstlight.

Wrong, Brooks Range Rocket Tent A2 (1 lb 5.9 oz). :D

http://www.brooks-range.com/StoreBox/tr ... ent_a2.htm

Damien Gildea

Re: best alpine tent for above base-camps

by Damien Gildea » Wed May 26, 2010 3:09 am

scottmiller wrote: camping above Base Camp at altitude.

I think for the most useful responses, you need to be a bit more specific on exactly what you're hoping to do. Tech route or steep walking? Sherpas/HAPs or all yourself? Above 7000m? In cold AK or hot Pakistan?

I love my Firstlight, and recently used a Lighthouse too, but there are plenty of places 'above base camp' I would not take them. They just won't take a mega-storm / snow dump for an extended time. They are brilliant for their specific uses, but not for everything.

I'm 6' 7" too, so my Bibler Tempest is good, very strong, but a bitch to carry compared to a Firstlight.

scottmiller

by scottmiller » Wed May 26, 2010 4:23 am

Good point Damien, specificity would help!

Purpose is primarily for trip to Peru in late June, so looking at something for that, where intermediary camps between BC and summit will be necessary.

Being based in NZL, there is not much choice anyway, so could be buying one out of default anyway!

Cheers,

Kai

by Kai » Wed May 26, 2010 4:31 am

Brad Marshall wrote:
Kai wrote:First light is the standard.

Wrong, Brooks Range Rocket Tent A2 (1 lb 5.9 oz). :D

Brad Marshall: You are an evil person. I thought I did not need another tent. Now, all of a sudden, I can't live without this 1 pound 5.9 ounce tent.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Wed May 26, 2010 5:06 am

scottmiller wrote: primarily for trip to Peru in late June ...

So most of the time you will be in Huaraz, drinking beer, eating pizza and dancing with secretaries from Lima.

In which case you just need something for a few days at BC and/or something you can carry on a route that is probably a bit steeper than just walking? In which case a Firstlight / Lighthouse might be best.

In SthAm, I've not climbed in Peru, only in Bolivia and Arg, which are drier than Peru, but I doubt you'd get much real rain in the Blanca in June/July, so a FL/LH can probably handle BC duties then, if you're not too tall. If you need to leave one tent at BC and climb with one, the BC tent could be pretty much anything, spend your money on hill gear, donkeys and beer (preferably in that order).

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed May 26, 2010 1:48 pm

So this year BD phased out the EPIC fabric used in the Firstlight and replaced it with the green Nano Shield stuff. Anybody used the tents made of the new fabric yet ?

(not that I actually need another firstlight, just curious :) )

Nikolas_A

by Nikolas_A » Wed May 26, 2010 4:59 pm

Brad Marshall wrote:Wrong, Brooks Range Rocket Tent A2 (1 lb 5.9 oz). :D

Good luck using that at altitude...

Return to Gear