Q: Acclimization hikes in late November

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
tb00957

Q: Acclimization hikes in late November

by tb00957 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:54 pm

Since I live at sea level, I'm thinking about flying to Colorado for Thanksgiving week, to get some acclimization.

Can you suggest some day hikes, where road is still accessible in November?

Thanks!

Linda

km_donovan

by km_donovan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:14 am

You can most likely drive to the top of Loveland Pass 11,990ft. Depending on conditions you can hike out to Mount Sniktau or Grizzly Peak. The ridge is often blown free of snow and you can keep the routes to Class 2. If you are really intrepid you can go from Grizzly to Torreys Peak and back to Loveland Pass and make a long day out of it.

Best to check the CDOT road conditions first. It can be sunny in Denver and a full on blizzard on Loveland Pass so pay close attention to the weather.

no avatar
sneakyracer

Re: Q: Acclimization hikes in late November

by sneakyracer » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:22 pm

tb00957 wrote:Since I live at sea level, I'm thinking about flying to Colorado for Thanksgiving week, to get some acclimization.

Can you suggest some day hikes, where road is still accessible in November?

Thanks!

Linda

The Colorado Springs (elev. 6,000 ft+) area is pretty dry. The Barr trail is hiked even in winter (7k-14k). I just went there last week and there are many trails, much of which are not burried in deep snow during the winter and are very accesible.

Return to Colorado