Wyoming Peak

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:47 am

The route page says there is, but it is old and has not been updated for a long time.

If you ever are there again, go from the west. In dry weather, most regular cars can handle the drive. As maintainer for the peak and the route from the west side (the pages, that is) and someone who just went up that way two weeks ago, I can guarantee you that the trail exists on that side.

Where the east-side trail reaches the ridge crest on maps, I saw no obvious trail or trail, junction. That's the best I can do to answer your question.
Last edited by Bob Sihler on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wyopeakMike

by wyopeakMike » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:18 pm

The trail actually does exist and it is easy to follow once you get past the creek area. Both times I was there we walked past the creek crossing until we realized it and had to backtrack to find the trail crossing at the creek. It is a confusing area and the trail seems to continue on the left side of the creek. Once you cross to the other side it becomes more easy to follow and you pass an overlook to the falls. We took the trail all the way to the ridgetop a ways south of the summit and then it seems to disappear. It is easy to follow the ridgetop until you finally see the trail from the west below you and you can follow that to the summit. We dropped off of the peak into the valley that takes you right back to the trail near the intersection with the Wyoming Range Recreation Trail, a nice way to return. Some nice country near Middle Piney Lake.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:33 pm

wyopeakMike wrote:We took the trail all the way to the ridgetop a ways south of the summit and then it seems to disappear. It is easy to follow the ridgetop until you finally see the trail from the west below you and you can follow that to the summit.

That's interesting to know. The quad shows the trail coming in at a saddle just northeast of the peak, near the saddle between Wyoming and Coffin!

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:35 pm

1000Pks wrote:I don't think solo travel is a great idea, there. I'll be sticking to more popular trails now, my time doing such things seems to be over.

Don't be so hard on yourself. In many areas of Wyoming, and this is one of them, the trails often fade or become confused through light usage with game trails or aren't where the maps show them. My recent trip had a lot of unplanned bushwhacking and cross-country hiking involved.

byates

by byates » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:23 am

The MLSC new you were coming and removed the bridge.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:26 am

Unfair-- I've given him crap about that subject myself, but he didn't bring it up here, and there's no call for us to.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:35 pm

1000Pks wrote:At the ranger station was a posted photocopy with a pepper spray advisory.

Any details as to why? Was there a black bear roaming the campgrounds? A grizzly? The Wyoming Range is not "officially" grizzly country again, especially not that far south in it, but I have heard they are back and people may not be saying much in order to avoid federal attention.

Doublecabin

by Doublecabin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:04 am

If bears are frequenting developed frontcountry sites I would thank the Service for making you aware.

I too believe in Bear [Not "Pepper"] Spray. I've never had to use it but my airhorn sure puts the fear of Mothertechnology in them.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)