Clothing System Advice for Rainier

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
msutton

Clothing System Advice for Rainier

by msutton » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:42 am

Hello all,

First post here. I'm planning a climb of Rainier for next April, and was wondering if I could get some feedback on the clothing system I think I'll use for Rainier that time of year. This will be my first time on Rainier. I have used this system in the Cascades (Adams, Shasta, Hood, etc.) and in the Alps for late spring climbs.

MHW Short Sleeve Base layer
Pata L/S Cap 3 Crew
Pata R1 Hoody
Pata Nano Puff P/U
OR Helium Shell
Pata Cap 2 Pants
OR Exos Softshell Pants
OR Liner Gloves
OR Arete Gloves
Hat
Balaclava

My main question is whether most bring a puffy for this time of year on Rainier. Thanks for any feedback. Cheers.

bird

by bird » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:30 pm

Yes, you'll want a puffy.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:21 pm

Bird is correct, you will want a puffy any time on Rainier. With the other layers you have on you probably can get away with a relatively lightweight one like the Patagonia Micropuff or Wild Things EP jacket.

Also, you did not mention what boots you are planning on wearing. I did Rainier in April 2009. My partner had La Sportiva Nepal Evos, I had on Scarpa Invernos. My partner had to constantly stop to kick the circulation back into his rapidly numbing feet, mine were toasty.

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:39 pm

I'd ditch the nanopuff for a nice warm puffy for sure.

What route?

msutton

by msutton » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:02 am

For the route, I'm planning the Ingraham Glacier Direct. Thanks for the advice on the puffy jacket. As for boots, can I get away with my leathers (LS Glacier EVOs) this time of year or will I be wanting my Invernos?

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:07 am

msutton wrote:For the route, I'm planning the Ingraham Glacier Direct. Thanks for the advice on the puffy jacket. As for boots, can I get away with my leathers (LS Glacier EVOs) this time of year or will I be wanting my Invernos?

As I said, I climbed Rainier in April and my partner had LS Nepal Evos (warmer boots than the Glaciers) and had to constantly kick his feet to rewarm his numb toes. I was happy I had my invernos on. In April there will be snow on the entire route, starting from the parking lot.

connollyck

by connollyck » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:48 pm

Just did DC Labor Day weekend. I was climbing in my hooded FF Volant it was so F'ing cold w/windchill. I wore cap 3 longsleeve baselayer, R1 hoody, Ascentionist and was freezing. I was warm enough moving when I added the Volant. If I could do it over again I would have been wearing a Nanopuff or down sweater vest between the R1 and Ascentionist. Sportiva Nepals were fine. Rainier can get ugly cold. Don't step foot on it without a puffy. PS. Bring a balaclava

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:16 pm

Buy a VBL sock setup and your Nepals will be fine, assuming they are sized big enough to take a liner/VBL/thick sock setup.

If you tend to get cold feet, renting Invernos is cheap, and you can sleep in the liners so they are warm and toasty in the morning.

Return to Gear