ADKs Visit

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:14 am

From what I've seen the "class 4" step isn't bad when dry. I'll be doing it next weekend and can let you know how it goes.

For those that have done Trap Dike and Huntington - how do they compare?

chocodove

by chocodove » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:28 am

Autoxfil wrote:From what I've seen the "class 4" step isn't bad when dry. I'll be doing it next weekend and can let you know how it goes.

For those that have done Trap Dike and Huntington - how do they compare?

Absolutely, I'd be curious as to how it compares with Huntington as well. And do let us know how it goes.

chocodove

by chocodove » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:13 pm

So we will be heading up Algonquin in two weeks, (either 10/2 or 10/3 dependent on weather).

I've noticed temps have been dipping below freezing at night...should we be thinking about bringing microspikes or other traction? I obviously do not know the terrain up there too well, so any insight is appreciated.

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:36 pm

Algonquin is a great choice! Early October is usually OK (strike that...often spectacular) but there is always some probability of some frozen precipitation. I did Wright/Algonquin in late October one year and axe and crampons were required. Might throw some traction into the pack just in case as a safeguard. Enjoy!

EastcoastMike

by EastcoastMike » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:56 am

chocodove wrote:So we will be heading up Algonquin in two weeks, (either 10/2 or 10/3 dependent on weather).

I've noticed temps have been dipping below freezing at night...should we be thinking about bringing microspikes or other traction? I obviously do not know the terrain up there too well, so any insight is appreciated.

I recommend bringing microspikes along, there can be ice up there by then, but nothing you can't handle easily. Would be very surprised to hear you need anything additional that early in October.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:52 am

Just keep track of the weather and trail conditions, particularly in the few days prior to your trip. Adirondack trail conditions can be found at http://www.hikeadks.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&func=showcat&catid=1&Itemid=47

chocodove

by chocodove » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:16 pm

AlexeyD wrote:Just keep track of the weather and trail conditions, particularly in the few days prior to your trip. Adirondack trail conditions can be found at http://www.hikeadks.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&func=showcat&catid=1&Itemid=47

Thanks for the tip.

mancopa

by mancopa » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:42 pm

Just a reminder....The col between Algonquin and Iroquois is a bog even on a dry day. So if you are going to do it on a rainy day, be ready for mucky conditions, and be prepared to drop a lot of F bombs.

-P

chocodove

Re: ADKs Visit

by chocodove » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:05 pm

Catamount wrote:So I tried the Dike for the first time yesterday and got friggin' soaked within the first 300 vertical feet above Avalanche Lake. At the point where I was placing hand-holds in two inches of running water, I started thinking that it wasn't a real smart thing to be doing solo. Wound up downclimbing and taking the trail to the summit of Colden from Lake Colden, which was wet and muddy in addition to being plenty steep.

General thought on the short portion of the Dike I did is that it seems like an awesome winter route but I wasn't in love with it as a three-season route.

Anyway, good luck to chocodave on Algonquin. Hope you have a blast.

Thanks, we are really looking forward to it. We also have the Dike on the agenda for next year. Hopefully it will be relatively dry and we are hoping to get a good look at the slide when we get to the top of Algonquin.

Previous

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)