Latest Capitol Peak ascent

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Elkranger

Latest Capitol Peak ascent

by Elkranger » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:45 am

What is the latest in the season one might be able to ascend the stunning ramparts of Capitol Peak? I am well aware winter ascents are possible, but I'm just thinking of a non crampon, ice axe free ascent.
I can see Capitol peak most days so can judge the snowfall and I am wondering if snow is the limiting factor or, perhaps something more sinister (Ice, wind, gargoyles, ect.).

Cheeseburglar

Re: Latest Capitol Peak ascent

by Cheeseburglar » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:10 am

Usually this time of year to do it without crampons and an axe the limiting factor is if the north side of K2 is clear. The sun melts all of the route except that part.
There is some snow up there right now, it might not melt off of that north side and could make it very interesting.

Here is a picture of what you would probably be dealing with. But the snow in this photo fell the night before we went up there so it was pure snow, no ice. I tilted the camera to make it look cool. It's not as steep as it looks. But we probably should have had an axe and crampons.

Return to Colorado