River Crossings - North Twin vs. Owl's Head

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
Castlereagh

River Crossings - North Twin vs. Owl's Head

by Castlereagh » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:04 pm

Anyone done both? I was surprised at the intensity of the river crossings on the North Twin trail yesterday. I wasn't caught completely off guard, as the guidebook did mention them, but I figured they wouldn't be a weather in the Fall. I guess recent rains have something to do with them. I ended up just wading through, boots and dress socks (6 AM wake up = dumb move I didn't realize until changing into boots at the trailhead).

I'm thinking about trying to fit in Owl's Head before the winter. I didn't really care about the wet sloshy boots on the Twins, but I do take Owl's Head a little more seriously.

Are the river crossings on Owl's Head typically more or less difficult than North Twin, all other things being equal?

nartreb

Re: River Crossings - North Twin vs. Owl's Head

by nartreb » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:14 am

Hard to say. The Little River and Lincoln Brook drain similarly-sized areas, so the total flow is probably similar, but the crossings of the Little River are in a narrower valley so probably deeper and faster on a given day.

They both can rise and fall dramatically in a couple of hours depending on weather, making it very difficult for one person to compare. See the route pages here on SP for links to water gauges. (You'll have no trouble spotting Friday's storm in the archives.)

Castlereagh

Re: River Crossings - North Twin vs. Owl's Head

by Castlereagh » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:04 pm

Thanks! That weekend definitely was not the one to be climbing N Twin unprepared

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)