Reccomended beginner/intermediate climbs in the Alps?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Raf89

Reccomended beginner/intermediate climbs in the Alps?

by Raf89 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:03 am

Hey, I'm new on these boards. I'm hoping to get some advice on a challenging beginner/intermediate climb in the Alps

Myself a friend have successfully climbed Kilimanjaro and Elbrus over the last 2 years, getting some experience with crampons and ice axe arrest on the latter.

Were both in good shape but lacking mountaineering experience and want to change this!

Were now looking for a challenge in the Alps. I've found a good list on this website of 4000m peaks in the Alps, but was hoping people could offer their own opinions on where to start. Ideally, the trip would be kept to a tight budget as were both students, not too touristy as both Kili and Elbrus were.

Thanks!

etai101

Re: Reccomended beginner/intermediate climbs in the Alps?

by etai101 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:08 pm

hey.
i would seriously think about a mountaineering course before attempting any technical climbing don't make the assumption that since you climbed a 5.5k mountain you are able to climb tougher routes on lower peaks.
to climb any thing sustained and exposed you need a tool box of knowledge to help you to avoid and get you out of danger.
a basic mountaineering course should serve you well and give you a starting base to progress.
chamonix is a good place to go with allot of climbing in a small area.
for a cheaper but no less of a good experience i also recommend stubay & tirol.

i don't mean to bum you out but as far as you say kilimanjaru and elburs are fine cold ascents but a walk up climb never the less and no where near technical as most intermidiate climbs can get.
now maybe I misunderstood and you are looking for more “walk ups” like the two aforementioned peaks.
If you are looking to progress you must get a prfesional mountain guide and let him show you the ropes( not for nothing the ad)good luck.

The following user would like to thank etai101 for this post
Raf89

no avatar
Raf89

by Raf89 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:34 pm

Thanks for the advice. Rather than taking a course, we might look at hiring a guide then we can climb and learn at the same time.

When we consider a route to be 'technical' what might it involve that a simple walk up climb wouldn't? Any examples?

Please bare with me as I'm obviously quite new to the technical side of things, despite experiencing altitude before.

Thanks

Joe White

by Joe White » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:50 pm

Raf89 wrote:When we consider a route to be 'technical' what might it involve that a simple walk up climb wouldn't? Any examples?

Technical often suggests a variety of objectives which may need specialized skills such as fifth class rockclimbing, ice climbing, steep snow climbing and descending, and can even imply complex route finding.

etai101

by etai101 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:48 pm

it is good you keep an open mind for learning and not heading into the flames head on you are on a good path.

although i think getting a guide to get you up a mountain dose not teach you any thing.

take for example the "7 summit climbers"(im only generalizing because it is a real trend I am not too fond of)
there many "7 summit" guys which have allot of money and just want to achieve a goal and not really learn anything about mountaineering they basically pay their way to the summit only for the acclaim of being accomplished mountaineer and as far as the rest on of the non climbing world they are, only if you put these guys with all their experience with a full rack and gear on a mixed demanding alpine route(say grade d and 4km) and with out their guide to carry them through i would be surprised if they just get to the base of the climb.
This is not a bash on 7 summiteers I know they are many who take climbing very seriously and climb more beyond 7 mountains and lear and progress .

what im trying to say is with out staring up too much of a commotion is the knowledge you gain is priceless in the alpine environment and allows you to one day go on you're own and climb a hard climb by yourself and you partner and know how to get yourself down when the "milk turns sour"

that is alpinezm to me an achievement of progression in the passion for true freedom.
good luck

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:15 am

Attempt Mont Blanc or any of the Monte Rosa's peaks (there are only a few easy) but you won't find any mountain in The Alps wich is not touristy

no avatar
Raf89

by Raf89 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:02 pm

Thanks for the continuing advice.

I guess we will need to look into taking a course and then going to a region where its possible to gain lots of experience e.g. Chamonix.

Is it reasonable to expect that after a course there would be a few climbs in Chamonix that myself and a friend could realistically attempt without a guide?

peterd

by peterd » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:09 pm

[quote="Raf89"]Thanks for the advice. Rather than taking a course, we might look at hiring a guide then we can climb and learn at the same time.

I would be very careful about choosing a guide. Many guides teach you 'how to climb guided' in the Alps.

A mountaineering course followed by some lower training peaks mighg be a better way forward if you ultimately want to climb unguided. Have you looked at Arolla? Some very easy peaks there, and some harder stuff.

Return to Europe