Winter climbs in the Alps?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
WouterB

by WouterB » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:49 am

Do they guide those South routes in winter? Again, just curious :)

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:18 am

Borut Kantušer wrote:Gonella is probably still closed. Or does it function again

It's not clear :( http://www.rifugiogonella.com/index.htm

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:43 pm

WouterB wrote:Does that include pool acces? :wink:

No seriously, would love to, but it's a bit (read: way) to expensive to fly there.

It sure does but it will be cold in December ;)

Tickets in winter to LA are usually very cheap (300-400 euro) but the best thing to do is fly mid week and in the period Jan-Mar. Dec tickets are usually more expensive; I'm guessing because of the Holiday period. With a little flexibility, I still find tickets for $563 in Dec though.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:45 pm

Winter on a high peak that far north like Mt. Blanc sounds pretty wild to me. Not sure if you've been on a high peak in the middle of winter but it can be crazy; freak storms, extreme cold, avalanches, etc. In winter, I'd pick an area with more stable weather than Europe.

Sebastian Hamm

by Sebastian Hamm » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:05 pm

Weather at Mont Blanc south routes:
I suggest thinking about Rahel, what can happen if there is coming instable weather and if it gets very cold on Mont Blanc.

Time:
Climbing in mid december means climbing at the lowest daylight-period. Think about the latest TR of Michael (mvs - really one of the most diversified climbers here on SP) if the time runs out and you have to bivy on Mont Blanc.

I did MB in summer, at sunset, wearing just a T-Shirt. I don't want to imagine standing on Mont Blanc de Courmayeur in the dark with 30 below zero and winds up to 80-100 while everybody is enjoying christmans-meal at home :lol: :lol: :lol: I am mountain-addicted but not crazy.

Everyone to his "fasson".

Now I get excited: Please write a TR about your winter climbing.
Last edited by Sebastian Hamm on Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sebastian Hamm

by Sebastian Hamm » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:09 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:What about lagginhorn in winter?

And if that doesn't work out we can always give allalin a chance :wink:

Lagginhorn and Allalin are possible in winter. In case of emergency you are back to the ski area very quickly.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:14 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:
Sebastian Hamm wrote:
sjarelkwint wrote:What about lagginhorn in winter?

And if that doesn't work out we can always give allalin a chance :wink:

Lagginhorn and Allalin are possible in winter. In case of emergency you are back to the ski area very quickly.

So wouter what do you think about a quicky? might be able to jump in my "car" and drive to Saas-Fee, jump in the cable car and dayhike lagginhorn, a day later dayhike allalin and drive back to belgium ... Sound like a great two days to me!

Not sure your knees will agree ;)

Sebastian Hamm

by Sebastian Hamm » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:35 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:Not sure your knees will agree ;)

My knees will ask me not to go probably ... I'm even into a skidescent for this Wouter ... (I will hate myself for saying this ...

I did Allalin and Lagginhorn in late November 2007 on a weekend-trip from Cologne. I was very lucky, it was the weekend before the first snow had come. No prob, but the sunday got loooong.
I was totally alone on both mountains. It was very interesting, knowing that there are usually hundreds of people on top in summer.

WouterB

by WouterB » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:06 am

I'll see how it goes. My agenda seems to be changing faster than I would like it to. I love winter and don't mind the cold. Will see what happens. Still planning on being out there for about two weeks, so yes, sjarelkwint, I'm up for that (but I'll be there already or stay there...).

WouterB

by WouterB » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:09 am

KristoriaBlack wrote:Let me know how your plans develop if you'd like. I will probably find myself in the alps this winter and if I'm there I'd definitely be up for some winter mountaineering.

Will do. Also sent a PM.

Previous

Return to Europe