Puffy Parka

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
jthomas

Puffy Parka

by jthomas » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:59 pm

Use: Rainier/Baker summer

Candidates: Pata DAS 28 oz $300
Pata Fitz Roy (baffled, 800 fill) 23 oz $300
Marmot Greenland (baffled 800 fill) 27 oz $360
Marmot Ama Dablam (non-baffled 800 fill) 18 oz $200

I know there are lots of other good brands, but I have had good luck with these two through the years, both are available locally, and I want to keep it simple. The DAS gets a lot of press, but it seems like the Fitz Roy would be warmer. Pata themselves hedge on which is warmer. The Ama Dablam was sweet to try on, and is really light, but I wonder if it is warm enough.

Also, the age old question: are the advantages of the synthetic DAS worth the extra weight and bulk? People say it never rains up high, but I have heard a lot of stories about sleet, freezing rain, etc. on Rainier.

no avatar
jthomas

Re: Puffy Parka

by jthomas » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:00 pm

Sorry for the semi-duplicate post.

bird

Re: Puffy Parka

by bird » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:39 pm

Any of them should be fine for those peaks in summer, including the AD. The Greenland seems like overkill, (though that depends a bit on your layering, but assuming you follow normal advice on that). The DAS is pretty bomber, and the safety net of synthetic is nice to have IMO. If you have a down bag, you may want to consider the synthetic parka, and if you have a synthetic bag, you may be better off with the down jacket. Think stuck in a snow cave. Can't go wrong with the DAS. I've climbed with plenty of people that love it.

Return to Gear