Grivel Matrix/Quantum Tech

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Autoxfil

Grivel Matrix/Quantum Tech

by Autoxfil » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:49 am

It's new tool time and I'd love to hear from someone who has used these. Comparisons to the new Quark would be ideal, but I'm afraid very few people have used both.

rhyang

Re: Grivel Matrix/Quantum Tech

by rhyang » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:33 pm

I've been using a pair of Quantum Tech's for two seasons on waterfall ice. Several other folks on here have them too. They swing well and are light, which is good for me.

Haven't seen the new quarks. I used the older model quarks from 2005 through 2007 and really liked them, but after my spinal cord injury found that they were just too heavy for me. I prefer the quark picks to the grivel picks personally .. quark picks seem more refined and get stuck less. I used a file on my grivel picks to round off the top edge, which seems to help a bit. Maybe sharpening the bevel on the teeth would help too.

Some other things to bear in mind: changing the grivel picks on these tools is a major pain -- you basically need to grind down the bolts. On the other hand, the grivel picks are very durable and seem like they will take a lot more filing before that becomes necessary.

re: triggers -- I used the grivel trigger on the old quarks leashless for a season, and then removed them. Couldn't really tell the difference.
Taaaake !

Autoxfil

Re: Grivel Matrix/Quantum Tech

by Autoxfil » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:10 am

Thanks, Ryhang. I picked up a pair and will try them out this weekend.

They are light as all get-out, which is excellent, and have an amazing swing. I loved the damp, warm CF of my old Cobras and didn't want to give that up either.

I can easily do gloved pullups on either the primary or upper grip, or using the bump as a trigger grip. It's quite functional despite being small.

Return to Gear