jacket patch/repair

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
nikolai

jacket patch/repair

by nikolai » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:28 am

I've got a down jacket with a pertex shell that I just put a 2 cm rip in, and some feathers are coming out. It's a golite, and they said I can mail them back the jacket and they will mend it, but it's winter and I need to wear this jacket.

What are acceptable ways that I can mend this tear?
Can I stitch it up with a regular thread and needle? Is there a patch kit for this sort of thing?

Thanks!

Brad Marshall

Re: jacket patch/repair

by Brad Marshall » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:21 pm

I used McNett Tenacious tape on my down jacket to repair a medium sized, L-shape ax wound.

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:04 pm

I've used Tenacious Tape to mend a Western Mountaineering sleeping bag - it will hold up all winter, and then come off when you get it repaired right.

It's pricey, but well worth it!

For a down jacket, the neatest way to patch it is to slide the tape into the hole and patch it from the inside... I tore my FA Down Jacket bushwhacking yesterday, and I'm about to try that myself.

no avatar
hatidua

by hatidua » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:19 pm

Based on your location, I'd suggest calling Ripstop Repair in Boulder, making arrangements ahead of time to somehow have the fix expedited, and have them do it. They go in from the inside and the repair makes the original rip all but invisible. I've had several of my down jackets fixed for very similar damage and they do it very well, and very reasonably. If you explained your need to have it fixed rapidly, I suspect they could accommodate you.

Or, use a piece of tape.

mmmthmtskier

by mmmthmtskier » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:40 pm

Tape from the inside of the tear with some transparent tape to keep the edges together.
Use a bit of seamgrip to repair the tear from the outside.
Smooth with a wet finger so the repair doesn't stick out too much.
The challenge is to keep the repair stable(no movement) as it dries(A book on each side of the repair?).
Put an oval-shaped piece of the tape of choice(Tenacious, Gorilla, Gore-tex, spinnaker) over the seamgrip repair.
Done.

Return to Gear