Mt.Williamson Now Open Year Round!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
mrchad9

Re: Mt.Williamson Now Open Year Round!

by mrchad9 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:48 am

Th issue is with over night quota and horses. If a trail has a quota of 20, then they will let 20 people go overnight, or 20 people and 20 horses, or 20 people and 30 horses, etc...

That makes no sense. If a trail can handle the impact of another 1000 pound animal shitting right on the path, surely another backpacker makes no difference.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:57 am

From my experience and knowing one of the oldest Horse Packers in the area (The Tanner's), they avoid that issue by going in and out on the same day.

They are permitted to have an established base camp/s and rotate their clients in and out on a schedule period basis. All completed in one day. They do have set prescribed allocated dates that they can over night. They also have a clause in their permit that allows for an over night in case of inclement weather etc.

The USFS has three Pack stations that I know of, that run their logistics out of on the Eastside into BC Ranger Stations. They do so with no permit etc.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:47 pm

Mostly Fishing trips to the BC.

bajaandy

by bajaandy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:59 pm

Hey Rick, regardless of how it happened ("the old order had a sunset date on it and rather than needing to rescind it, the Inyo NF choose to let it expire") it's nice to know that the campaign was successful. Keep me posted on trail building dates. I bet it'll take more than a McLeod up in GC!

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:27 pm

The Campaign that WE ALL partook in.... thanks again to everyone!!!!

bajaandy

by bajaandy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:00 pm

The Chief wrote:The Campaign that WE ALL partook in.... thanks again to everyone!!!!

Exactly what I meant, brotha. Even if all a person did was write letters (like me), still feels good to know that change was the result. And thanks go to you for taking point and shaking some cages.

Previous

Return to California