Mt.Williamson Now Open Year Round!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
A-Lex

Re: Mt.Williamson Now Open Year Round!

by A-Lex » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:08 pm

I'm not sure why climbing old skool 5.9/5.10/5.11 in Pine Creek is necessary as training to be in the backcountry. Plenty of moderates out there. And "Chips off the Ol' Block" is not old skool.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:49 pm

A-Lex wrote:I'm not sure why climbing old skool 5.9/5.10/5.11 in Pine Creek is necessary as training to be in the backcountry. Plenty of moderates out there. And "Chips off the Ol' Block" is not old skool.

A-Lex, we are talking about my BC routes

btw...Have you done the last two P's of Tai's COOB??

Have you been on and completed the two Old Skool Classics Rites of Spring & Shiela

Have you been on and done DR's , AB's and DH's stuff on E-Buttress, Babershop Buttress and Cyanide Cliff?

Have you done Tai's or my new multi-p trad lines on the Bighorn Wall???

And have you been on and completed this DR/RG 7 pitch Old Skool Classic....

Vitaliy M wrote:Beats staying home!

Now that is funny!

I spend six days a week in the winter,outside. Either working on the hill or climbing ice in LVC or down in the ORG or A-Hills.

Sorry Amigo, don't do Social Snow Slogs...
Last edited by The Chief on Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WML

by WML » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:12 pm

A ski descent would be WAY more fun than slogalicious socializing, jussayin'

A-Lex

by A-Lex » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:14 pm

Chief: That's fine if you were specifically talking about YOUR routes. But part of the conversation seemed to be speaking towards climbing in the backcountry in general. If not, well then my mistake.

No, I have not climbed Tai's route. My definition of old skool is, well, old. If you meant stiff ratings, well, sure maybe. I don't personally know.

You just come off as pompous and it’s quite annoying. In person you seemed nice enough, and your climbing accomplishments are awesome. But come 'on. Get over yourself.

I understand if you don't wanna climb the NE coulior of Langley, but you make it seem like you don't climb anything sub-5.10 and if people do then they can’t even be talking to you. Grades aren't even the point of climbing buddy.

I hate to haggle you, but dang dude calm down. You are not all that. You’re just a climber like the rest of us. Doesn’t matter whether it’s 5.10 or class 3 – if you’re having fun then you’re the climber doing the best right?

WML: Agreed!

WML

by WML » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:23 pm

Vitaliy M wrote:
WML wrote:A ski descent would be WAY more fun than slogalicious socializing, jussayin'

Than join me on a day hike of Sargent's ridge (Mt. Shasta) early spring. I will bring my board on my back so I can ride down Avalanche Gulch. How many are in?

I was talking about drip droppin' in on Langley, that would be a fun one!

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:26 pm

Where have we met A-Lex???

The conversation started way back on this thread A-Lex when VM questioned the authenticity of my BC projects (which are all rated 5.10+ or greater btw) and completed lines..i.e. "Doors of Perception" etc. That is the point I have with VM.

It has absolutely nothing to do with me or my Eastside accomplishments. Rather, VM types tons of shit, but he can't really climb yet, by his own admission btw.

I don't enjoy doing snow slogs or Class 2/3 lines unless I am guiding.

And, too many of you dudes take this shit far too personal and perceive way too much into what people/I write.

Pompous... that is funny.
Last edited by The Chief on Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A-Lex

by A-Lex » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:34 pm

Chief: I use to work at Mammoth Gear last spring/early summer. I'm the dude with dreads. I dunno, you may not remember.

Alright then I'll leave that conversation to you and VM....

Yeah pompous is funny, and kinda true at the same time...I don't have a beef with you mang. I just think you're kinda arrogant to many on this, and other, websites and somebody had to say something.

Don't worry though, I don't take it personally.

VM: I'd climb that thing with you. And I'm definitely bringing skis. Somebody's gotta flail!

WML

by WML » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:44 pm

Um, have you ever looked at a map of that area? definitely scary if you are speaking authoritatively and haven't. It's about 4k just back to the head of the canyon where Tuttle Creek begins...and much of the terrain back to the car (7k feet total from summit) is low angle shredtastic (if on snowboard) and nice corn cruisin' on skis. RE: the angle, take a look at the couloir on a map, then take a look at something that is legitimately that steep. There are a few couloirs of this variety in the Eastern Sierra you can choose from, be creative. As granjero states from experience from descending that couloir, the angle only slightly at the top depending on snow. 35-40 degrees.

If doing a Shasta descent, opt for the classic, Hotlum-Wintun ridge for 7k of glorious corn riding back to the car, thus allowing you to go light.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:46 pm

A-lex:

I remember when I was young (like you and VM and many others) and all that shit, I thought all the "Old Dudes" were arrogant and pompous and.....

Three of my closest heroes were considered the most arrogant dudes out there... Clyde, Batso and Whillans.

Some Old Climbers have always been perceived as arrogant (in their way) and pompous by the younger generation.

BTW: you didn't finger any change or bills from my Eastside Re-Bolting Can did ya??

VM: Don't do Social Hikes/Scrambles

A-Lex

by A-Lex » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:53 pm

Chief: I might be a younger climber who thinks you're arrogant (not that I hold it against you - everyone has their roles in society) but I didn't steal donated money for re-bolting projects. I hope you're joking and just recognizing how we met.

As to the old climbers being arrogant - they're not all like that. And just because I appreciate their accomplishments - it doesn't mean I would have liked them as people.

WML

by WML » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:54 pm

Vitaliy M wrote:
WML wrote:Um, have you ever looked at a map of that area? definitely scary if you are speaking authoritatively and haven't. It's about 4k just back to the head of the canyon where Tuttle Creek begins...and much of the terrain back to the car (7k feet total from summit) is low angle shredtastic (if on snowboard) and nice corn cruisin' on skis. RE: the angle, take a look at the couloir on a map, then take a look at something that is legitimately that steep. There are a few couloirs of this variety in the Eastern Sierra you can choose from, be creative. As granjero states from experience from descending that couloir, the angle only slightly at the top depending on snow. 35-40 degrees.

If doing a Shasta descent, opt for the classic, Hotlum-Wintun ridge for 7k of glorious corn riding back to the car, thus allowing you to go light.

Not only I seen the map, I been there during spring (this year). Even with it being an above the average year there was only snow to ride on to 10K..than boulder fields and crap.

Have you tried a north side approach for Shasta during winter?

Nope, why bother with that one in the winter though? Spring corn skiing on that is where it's at from my understanding.

RE: Langley, granjero and some other folks were able to ski back to Stone House from the top last April...

granjero

by granjero » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:05 am

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:10 am

A-Lex wrote:Chief: I might be a younger climber who thinks you're arrogant (not that I hold it against you - everyone has their roles in society) but I didn't steal donated money for re-bolting projects. I hope you're joking and just recognizing how we met.

As to the old climbers being arrogant - they're not all like that. And just because I appreciate their accomplishments - it doesn't mean I would have liked them as people.

See what I mean??? Taking this shit far to serious..... My arrogance shines.

Bruce Lella and I had a three hour chat about just this arrogance subject last week over a pot of coffee. More coffee was spewed and went airborne than was actually ingested. Hint....

Now, how many folks want to join this arrogant bastard next late spring to cut a trail up GC!

A-Lex

by A-Lex » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:20 am

Chief: I can't state the truth on this thread without you thinking I take it too seriously?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:32 am

A-Lex wrote:Chief: I can't state the truth on this thread without you thinking I take it too seriously?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2F4VcBmeo[/youtube]

PreviousNext

Return to California