Looking for MSR Lightning Ascent Recommendations

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
pagodatron

Looking for MSR Lightning Ascent Recommendations

by pagodatron » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:47 pm

I'm looking to get a set of MSR Lightning Ascent Snowshoes. I'm 6'4", 180lbish. The 25 in. versions are shown rated to 225 lbs and the 30 in. will cover the 225+ lb range. With a pack I will be close to the upper weight limit of the 25's. I'm curious if I should go 25 with a tail and use it when needed or just bust out the 30 in. versions. Any recommendations or experience with these shoes? Is performance greatly dependent on snow conditions? I'd like to be able to use these anywhere.

Thanks.

rasgoat

Re: Looking for MSR Lightning Ascent Recommendations

by rasgoat » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:30 pm

I would say if flotation for deep snow and breaking trail is going to be your main pursuit then go with the bigger ones which are probably the safest bet for all types of conditions. If you are looking to go light and maybe a little faster than the smaller ones may do it. I do know that the tails showed a significant increase in flotation for me in very deep snow. I have the denali ascents and weighed 164 at the time.

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:53 pm

For above timberline hard/crusty snow, I have found nothing can beat the Lightning
Ascents

They are ok on deep but higher moisture snow in the spring/ early summer.

Winter deep powder or sugar??? FORGET IT. Totally inadequate flotation. [Edit for clarity: Nothing will offer miracle flotation in super light powder, but the MSR Lightnings ... in powder, you might as well put them on your pack and boot it. My old Tubbs provide far better powder and deep snow flotation. MSR Lightning Ascents in low-moisture snow provide NO flotation and actually can result in making it harder to move because they will prevent you from lifting your feet. Whew!]

Sarah
Last edited by Sarah Simon on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go climb a mountain

rasgoat

by rasgoat » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:08 pm

Winter East Coast flotation may differ from West. More moisture content & less depth in the East I would say. I wonder what offers the best flotation in super deep fluffy snow?

drpw

by drpw » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:32 am

rasgoat wrote:Winter East Coast flotation may differ from West. More moisture content & less depth in the East I would say. I wonder what offers the best flotation in super deep fluffy snow?

Skis and skins.

Flattlander

by Flattlander » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:03 am

Get the 25s and add the tail if/when you really need to. When snow is really deep and powdery, the couple inches won't make a bit of difference anyway, and you just work harder or quit, or get those skis and skins.

Return to Gear