First Ascent

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
bird

First Ascent

by bird » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:18 pm

So there have been a few threads about First Ascent Down Jackets...I boasted about getting the down sweater for like $45. Now I know why. I've worn it a bit as an around town jacket, maybe 20 times for a few hours.
Today I wore it in the snow, and in 10 minutes of walking, it is wet through. It says it has DWR, but obviously not. Nice jacket, but not up to the better brands...

ExcitableBoy

Re: First Ascent

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:39 pm

I always wondered why Eddie Bauer/First Ascent hired has beens (Dave Hahn, Ed Viestures) and never weres (Peter Whittaker et. al.) to design (endorse) a line of clothing. Seems to me you would want cutting edge climbers who are climbing genuinely diffcult things to help out.

no avatar
zeroforhire

by zeroforhire » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:52 pm

My peak XV jacket has been nothing but fantastic. I have had FF, and WM jackets in the past, and the Peak XV is my favorite. Great design, very durable, and cheap. (I think I bought mine at the end of the season last year for $149).

Like any brand, I am sure their stuff is hit and miss... but everything I have from them has been surprisingly good.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:20 pm

ExcitableBoy wrote:... (Dave Hahn, Ed Viestures) and never weres (Peter Whittaker et. al.)

Geez, and people think I'm harsh! First Ascent, despite their name, promote their gear based on the cult of the 'guide' as the epitome of climbing excellence. Some people go for that. I remember the early blurb for their top down parka said basically "this is the jacket to put on when your guide tells you to." :lol:

I always thought it funny that, until a couple of weeks ago, the First Ascent team had not done any first ascents. But then the company also claims that Eddie Bauer 'invented' the down jacket.

I've heard good and bad things about the gear, though it has not really been around long enough to prove true durability. Some of it looks good, some of the designs look good, it's cheap, so, who knows .....

SKI

by SKI » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:14 pm

ExcitableBoy wrote:I always wondered why Eddie Bauer/First Ascent hired has beens (Dave Hahn, Ed Viestures) and never weres (Peter Whittaker et. al.) to design (endorse) a line of clothing. Seems to me you would want cutting edge climbers who are climbing genuinely diffcult things to help out.

Like the Patagonia M10 Jacket/Pants? Ever wear one of these? I've seen three now get shredded completely on just one outing! Backcountry Guide Pants? The zippers ever last more than a season (i'm through my 2nd pair now).You'd think with names like Andy Kirkpatrick, House, Zoe Hart and Wildford their stuff would be bullet (read: offwidth) proof assuming this theory is valid...

Gear is finicky and always being revamped and upgraded. FA is fairly new- I'd expect some problems. The items that I own of theirs are working fine so far.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:34 pm

AlpineAffinity wrote: ... You'd think with names like ...

Names don't mean much, other than marketing. Andy himself has written a tale, somewhere out there in the blogosphere, about how when he was at Berghaus the recommendations and input on gear that he made either got ignored or mangled by the time the product was actually made. By the time the accountants and marketing department have had their way with things, it's amazing any good gear gets out there at all. Small, tailored / custom / craft - type manufacturers may seem the answer, but their QC is not always up to scratch, nor their customer service and inventory/delivery etc. Some, like CCW, manage to get by OK over time. Others, like WildThings, change to something else, which may not be to everyone's taste.

Patagonia? All their marketing tells us how great something is then the next year they can it or change it, often not for the better. Word is they're dumping all their (so-called) proprietary fabrics to step into line with Gore etc. If true, does that mean all the stuff they've said these last years was not really true?

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:34 am

Damien Gildea wrote: But then the company also claims that Eddie Bauer 'invented' the down jacket.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=eWRwAA ... &q&f=false

He did get the first US patent, which is close enough in my book.

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:34 am

bird wrote:So there have been a few threads about First Ascent Down Jackets...I boasted about getting the down sweater for like $45. Now I know why. I've worn it a bit as an around town jacket, maybe 20 times for a few hours.
Today I wore it in the snow, and in 10 minutes of walking, it is wet through. It says it has DWR, but obviously not. Nice jacket, but not up to the better brands...

To the OP - hiking in a down sweater is a recipe for getting wet. They are sponges with a water-repellent cover, which is filled with holes. I have one and love it, but I leave it at home when I go hiking the snow. What down sweater out there would have fared better?

dskoon

by dskoon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:37 am

Damien Gildea wrote:
AlpineAffinity wrote: ... You'd think with names like ...

Names don't mean much, other than marketing. Andy himself has written a tale, somewhere out there in the blogosphere, about how when he was at Berghaus the recommendations and input on gear that he made either got ignored or mangled by the time the product was actually made. By the time the accountants and marketing department have had their way with things, it's amazing any good gear gets out there at all. Small, tailored / custom / craft - type manufacturers may seem the answer, but their QC is not always up to scratch, nor their customer service and inventory/delivery etc. Some, like CCW, manage to get by OK over time. Others, like WildThings, change to something else, which may not be to everyone's taste.

Patagonia? All their marketing tells us how great something is then the next year they can it or change it, often not for the better. Word is they're dumping all their (so-called) proprietary fabrics to step into line with Gore etc. If true, does that mean all the stuff they've said these last years was not really true?

Yeah, funny stuff. It's all about money. I heard that if they change colors, names, etc, basically the product, just a bit, then they don't have to pay taxes/tariffs on the stuff as its imported into the US. Something like that, anyway.
Having worked a bit in the industry(REI), I noticed that every year, the product is supposed to be that much better, ie, this one is the ultimate jacket, whether it be the dead bird stuff, patagucch, REI, etc. etc. New material, new this, new that, supposedly equals the best. Gets a bit nauseating after awhile.
And Pataguch? yeah, more of the same. While I like their stuff, I have to chuckle now that they're going back, (at least in part, as some I believe, will still be their H2No product), to Gore. Chouinard used to say Gore was a scam, as "no product breathes," except of course, his. :roll:

no avatar
bearbreeder

by bearbreeder » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:54 am

Ive bought 2 eb downlights ... The dwr works fine for me .... If you dont like it walk into any eb store and theyll be happy to exchange it or give you an in store credit

they dont care where you bought it from either ... If its got eddie's name on there ... Its covered

no avatar
Stolzel

by Stolzel » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:10 am

I buy First Ascent gear as the climbing/trekking gear that I would never actually use when climbing or trekking. As the brand stands today, I wouldn't buy any of my fundamental gear - the stuff that really 'does work' - from them. With that said, I like the brand for the stylish, slightly tech-forward, street wear.

I don't need to look like I'm ready for the mountain when I'm just going to the office, but it is nice to have outdoor gear that I can wear on the streets. It's comfortable, functional enough, and people know what I'm into when I wear it - which is really just a poser/ego thing!

kheegster

by kheegster » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:25 am

Autoxfil wrote:
bird wrote:So there have been a few threads about First Ascent Down Jackets...I boasted about getting the down sweater for like $45. Now I know why. I've worn it a bit as an around town jacket, maybe 20 times for a few hours.

To the OP - hiking in a down sweater is a recipe for getting wet. They are sponges with a water-repellent cover, which is filled with holes. I have one and love it, but I leave it at home when I go hiking the snow. What down sweater out there would have fared better?

I believe bird meant walking around while it was snowing. The Northeast has been getting dumped on today.

tengobotas

by tengobotas » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:38 pm

As someone else said take it back, theyll swap it or give you a discount. I wouldnt be surprised if they even gave you an upgrade at no charge.

I have the Frontpoint jacket which I picked up for $100 and I absolutely love it.

Oh the other thing is if you have ANY kind of outdoor certification, for instance the RMI First Aid cert, theyll give you a pro discount as well.

Return to Gear