NORTH CAROLINA CLIMBING/MOUNTAINEERING!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
KevinStumpf

NORTH CAROLINA CLIMBING/MOUNTAINEERING!

by KevinStumpf » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:22 pm

Hey everyone! I am currently in the Military in afghanistan and it has been a long while since my last trip up into the mountains! I will be out of the Army as of April 2012 and am settling down with my wife in NC! I am NOT familiar with any areas on which I can do some serious climbing/mountaineering! Does anyone know of any areas in the general vicinity of NC? I will be living in Mooresville and I can't live with out my trips....... I kind of lied.... I know of the Smokies, but I know nothing about them. Are they any decent? Do they offer any chance of a challenge or adventure? Any information would be greatly appreciated! I can't wait to get back into the groove! :)

Sarah Simon

Re: NORTH CAROLINA CLIMBING/MOUNTAINEERING!

by Sarah Simon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Be safe in Afghanistan and good luck finding adventure in NC, but please keep the ALL CAPS thing toned down. ;)
Go climb a mountain

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:04 pm

Mooresville doesn't seem too far from various spots along the Blue Ridge Parkway. That would include Linnville Gorge and Mt. Mitchell as well as many other hiking opportunities; don't know about any mountaineering though. Stone Mountain (NC) and Looking Glass Rock shouldn't be too far from Mooresville either. From looking at Google Earth, Mooresville is about 70 miles as the crow flies from Grandfather Mountain, so there definitely should be some possibilities.

The following user would like to thank Buz Groshong for this post
KevinStumpf

rpc

by rpc » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:20 pm

"I am NOT familiar with any areas on which I can do some serious climbing/mountaineering! "

seems like nothing but serious climbing at a place like Stone Mountain. Also looks like a few other great places for multi-pitch climbing in the state. Mountaineering? Think you're on the wrong side of the continent...

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:59 pm

rpc wrote:"I am NOT familiar with any areas on which I can do some serious climbing/mountaineering! "

seems like nothing but serious climbing at a place like Stone Mountain. Also looks like a few other great places for multi-pitch climbing in the state. Mountaineering? Think you're on the wrong side of the continent...

I basically have to agree with that. There sure aren't any glaciers in that area; hell, there weren't any in the last ice age either. There's unquestionably some great mountain hiking though, and some very good rock climbing no doubt.

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:58 pm

No glaciers, no treeline. Some good rock. 6000' peaks that get some good winter weather from time to time. Imaginitive people can do pretty intense things in the NC mountains, especially in winter. Scroll down this for one example: http://matthewkirk.blogspot.com/2010/02/ring-round-shed.html
It was done less than 2 hours' drive from Moresville.

The following user would like to thank chugach mtn boy for this post
KevinStumpf

no avatar
erial

by erial » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:06 pm

Also good rock climbing at Table Rock, between Linville and Morganton as well as Pilot Mtn just to the east of Stone Mtn.

Dupont and Uwharrie Forests offer various mtn bike trails should you want to seek out other adventures. Transylvania County offers a high concentration of primo waterfalls. Nothing like dealing with a typical Carolina summer day than careening down one of those slide cascades.

And, of course, living in Mooresville you'll always have NASCAR.

The following user would like to thank erial for this post
KevinStumpf

CheesySciFi

by CheesySciFi » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:12 am

I just pulled out Issue 25 of Alpinist Magazine, which has an article about rock climbing at Laurel Knob in North Carolina. Laurel Knob has routes that are at least 5.10b.

There are some good long hikes in the Smokies as well, including Mount Guyot, which entails a hike of about 16 miles, an elevation gain of more than 4,000 feet, and a difficult bushwhack at the end.

BobSmith

by BobSmith » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:46 pm

The rock in the Smokies is NOT suitable for climbing. Don't even try it. Rotten stuff.

Stone Mountain, Rumbling Bald, Whiteside Mountain, Linville Gorge, Looking Glass Rock, John Rock, Panthertown Valley, etc.;...plenty of places for serious rock climbing.

The following user would like to thank BobSmith for this post
KevinStumpf

e-doc

by e-doc » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:12 am

I do not rock climb but echo above sentiments. There is plenty of climbingin NC; enough to keep you busy a few decades. Winter in the Whites Mt of NH are the closest thing to mountaineering in the east and Grandfather & Mt Mitchell are the closest things to the Whites. I can recall 3 specific cases of hiker deaths from hypothermia in the SE over the last 10 or so years; here is one:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... _death.htm

Thanks for your service, be safe,and welcome to Carolian the Elder. :D

The following user would like to thank e-doc for this post
KevinStumpf

KevinStumpf

by KevinStumpf » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:53 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:Mooresville doesn't seem too far from various spots along the Blue Ridge Parkway. That would include Linnville Gorge and Mt. Mitchell as well as many other hiking opportunities; don't know about any mountaineering though. Stone Mountain (NC) and Looking Glass Rock shouldn't be too far from Mooresville either. From looking at Google Earth, Mooresville is about 70 miles as the crow flies from Grandfather Mountain, so there definitely should be some possibilities.

Thank you very much for looking it up for me! I heard of Grandfather mountain before. I will check them places out as soon as I get home!

KevinStumpf

by KevinStumpf » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:01 pm

rpc wrote:"I am NOT familiar with any areas on which I can do some serious climbing/mountaineering! "

I appologies, I tend to use the term Mountaineering freely with out thinking twice. I was meaning it in the terms of trekking. My definition of Mountaineering though is that of someone whom goes bivouacking for a week or more. But anyway's. I will have to check out Stone Mountain, I haven't looked it up yet, but I am hoping it is promising. Thanks for your response!

KevinStumpf

by KevinStumpf » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:04 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:

I basically have to agree with that. There sure aren't any glaciers in that area; hell, there weren't any in the last ice age either. There's unquestionably some great mountain hiking though, and some very good rock climbing no doubt.

I'm tracking that! Like I told the other SPer, I tend to use the term freely meaning that of mountaining hiking/trekking. If you know of any good spots, please let me know! I appreciate it.

KevinStumpf

by KevinStumpf » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:10 pm

CheesySciFi wrote:I just pulled out Issue 25 of Alpinist Magazine, which has an article about rock climbing at Laurel Knob in North Carolina. Laurel Knob has routes that are at least 5.10b.

There are some good long hikes in the Smokies as well, including Mount Guyot, which entails a hike of about 16 miles, an elevation gain of more than 4,000 feet, and a difficult bushwhack at the end.

That is awesome! Thanks. The longer the hike, the better. I am planning a 2 day hiking trip in the mountains when I go on R&R from deployment. I will keep Mount Guyot in mind and nothing beats a good bushwhack at the end of a hike. I done a few on caving trips! Thanks again!

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)