La Sal Pass Road clear?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
phillinley

La Sal Pass Road clear?

by phillinley » Tue May 31, 2011 3:49 pm

Just checking on here to see if anyone's either attempted Mt Peale recently and/or has been up the La Sal Pass Road. Is the road open all the way to the pass? I'm hoping to get up there on Thursday.

Mooner

Re: La Sal Pass Road clear?

by Mooner » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:55 pm

Well two weeks I drove the west side of the La Sal pass road heading up to Mt Peale and I got to just below Mount Tush@#$ (can remember how to spell it) and at about 9,200 feet i was blocked by a old avalanche that had come down off of Tush... then right after that the road turned to a north facing slope that still had a good 3 feet on the road. Where the avalache had come down there were trees down and what not. ......... In other words dont try it from the (shorter way if you are coming from Moab) and just drive around the long way like Summitpost recommends on the Mount Peale page. I bet from the other side of the La Sal Pass road you can make it.

phillinley

Re: La Sal Pass Road clear?

by phillinley » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:24 pm

Well here's my own self report after trying. An outfitter in Moab said the southern la sal pass road I wouldnt be able to reach but I could try the geyser pass way around. That ended up being a dead wend at the winter trailhead of geyser pass due to snow. I tried going up the northwest ridge to the sub peak between mellenthin and peale, but I couldn't find a route thru the trees and after an hour or so of sinking in even with my snow shoes I said screw it and decided to try my luck further south.

Here's the conditions for some of the southern utah COHP's I looked to try instead
Mt Ellen inaccesible roads
Mt Delano Inaccessible roads
Brian Head - Can't drive it but you can snowshoe it which was what I ended up doing to salvage the day.

Return to Utah