Puyehue Cordon Caulle

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
Homestarhiker

Puyehue Cordon Caulle

by Homestarhiker » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:11 pm

Hey, I'm hoping to fly into Santiago from Atlanta next Monday and then planning on taking the bus to Mendoza. I have been reading news articles about the volcanic eruptions of the Puyehue Cordon Caulle and the most recent ones say that some flights have been cancelled into and out of Santiago. I think the flights that were cancelled were to the south and east toward the cloud of ash, so I'm hoping my flight will still go through. Is there anyone who knows more about this than I do who can tell me what the chances are of my flight being cancelled?

I also read an article that said at least one pass between Chile and Argentina had been closed. It didn't say which one though. Is there anyone who can confirm whether the CH-60/Ruta 7 pass is still open?

Thank you

Australopitecus

Re: Puyehue Cordon Caulle

by Australopitecus » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:44 pm

Hi my friend, the pass closed by the eruption its Cardenal Samore that goes from Osorno to Bariloche, so from Santiago to Mendoza its very far away more than 900 kms north, should not be a problem. And the flights Cancelled are mainly from B. Aires and Uruguay so if you arrive from the north to Scl should be ok.
Bye and have a nice trip to Chile...

Jose Rosen.

The following user would like to thank Australopitecus for this post
Homestarhiker

Homestarhiker

Re: Puyehue Cordon Caulle

by Homestarhiker » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Thank you. I'm safely in Mendoza now.

Return to South America