Fine Cali! Be that way!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
NW

Fine Cali! Be that way!

by NW » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:16 pm

To all you SPers who live in Cali.... why do you insist on keeping so many awesome things to do all to yourselves?! Why not share with poor little eastern Canada?! Lol. As you can tell I just got back from my trip and had a great time. Did the Whitney trail via a stay at Trail Camp. The switchbacks were closed so we used the chute. After a short stay on the summit clouds rolled in, thunder boomed and it started to snow. We booked it back to Trail camp and waited for the bitter cold rain to subside. It didn't so we packed up and headed down. We ran into a solo hiker heading down and he said that he had got to the summit after us and had spent an hour and a half trying to wait out a white out blizzard. There were quite a few people heading up as we had left the summit before we reached the chute. We told them it was snowing up there and there was thunder but obviously it hadn't deterred them. Hopefully they all made it down ok. We also went to Yosemite. We didn't do any climbing there though, no time. We just did some touristy stuff but I did insist on going over to El Cap and checking it out up close in the flesh. Oooo....such rock walls as I have never touched before.... so sweeeet. Then we booked it for the coast and our plane back. And above all we didn't die horrible deaths in a massive earthquake or gang shooting as my mother predicted. So that was a nice touch too! So any way you Californians better take advantage of all the stuff you have there, trust me, some places don't have quite the variety of options as you do!! Now I will enter my obligatory photo....
Attachments
camera dump 316.jpg
camera dump 316.jpg (266.1 KiB) Viewed 5308 times

no avatar
The Chief

Re: Fine Cali! Be that way!

by The Chief » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:18 pm

I got tons of stuff (FA's). Just punch my profile. No secrets.

You lead old skool 5.10/A3/WI4 or better... than you are in there!

N'joy.

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:25 pm

37,000,000 of us would like to keep it a secret. Thanks for sharing... :x :wink:

NW

by NW » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:32 pm

Haha the word is out. Beware! What's funny is there are approx. 3 million more people in California alone then in ALL of Canada.

SJ

by SJ » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:20 pm

NW wrote:And above all we didn't die horrible deaths in a massive earthquake or gang shooting as my mother predicted.

Must have flown out of SFO

NW

by NW » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:36 pm

LAX actually but my mother and grandmother were sure that we would be driving through gunfire and fault lines at every turn. Our cities population is an intimidating 124 000.

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:44 pm

you should be around when the 405 is closed.

NW

by NW » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:17 pm

I was glad the Tioga Pass was open when we were down. That was a nice drive. Our poor gutless rental car hated us though. It did not like driving up to Whitney Portal at all. We stopped to take a picture and literally had to floor it t make it start again. Poor chevy aveo, not made for climbing hills.

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:55 pm

kevin trieu wrote:you should be around when the 405 is closed.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlLZ4RWyyAw[/youtube]

The following user would like to thank goldenhopper for this post
norco17, SJ

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:34 pm

NW wrote:Haha the word is out. Beware! What's funny is there are approx. 3 million more people in California alone then in ALL of Canada.

Despite the huge hordes of people in California, we've done a fairly good job of living outside of the good spots.

fatdad

by fatdad » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:06 pm

Yup, it's pretty grim around here. I'm about to head out for a nice mt. bike ride for lunch. Ocean views of course. This weekend it's off to the Needles for some awesome climbing on peerless granite. I just don't know how we manage.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:11 pm

this peak is in eastern Canada...

NW

by NW » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:14 pm

The main problem with climbing anything interesting in eastern Canada, or many places in Canada for that matter, is getting there. I looked into a peak in Labrador and first I had to get special permission from the Inuit gov't there, then to actually get there drive for 36 hours, take 2 different boats and then charter a plane. Let's just say the cost to get there was about 2000 more per person for us vs going to Cali for a week and that was only if we could get 4 more people to go in on the trip with us. And the pilot that actually responded told me he wouldn't fly anyone up there because 2 people had died on the mountain about 10 years ago. Really the mountain isn't difficult at all. Alot of scrambling etc but cost is a major issue. While it would've been great to be so alone the price was a bit to steep to do that one ( a mere 5420ft) when I could do my first 14er for so much less and go to Yosemite and the beach :p. I couldn't believe a pass was so cheap for Yosemite! Up here a pass to a basic camping park with a few easy hiking trails is $20 per day for a car, there you get so much more for a whole week!

dug

by dug » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:42 pm

Vitaliy M. wrote:this peak is in eastern Canada...

Sorry but Waddington is not close to eastern Canada. :lol:
Really tho, I know you meant western Canada. :wink:

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:06 pm

sorry, was at work, got my coasts mixed! Thought the OP was on west coast like me, and this peak popped in my head right of way!

Return to California