Good roadside camping spots - N. Idaho

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
AlexeyD

Good roadside camping spots - N. Idaho

by AlexeyD » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:19 pm

Hi all,

Next Sat. night (8/13), I will be passing through the Idaho panhandle on my way from Spokane to the Purcell Mountains in BC. Since we will not be able to start earlier than about 8:30 pm, there seems no sense in trying to do it all in one go (will only mess up our sleep schedule), so the idea is to drive for an hour or two and then crash somewhere along the way (most likely somewhere along Hwy 95 north of Couer d'Alene). I've looked at a few nearby state park campgrounds, but seeing how it'll be Saturday night, I'm a little concerned that they might be full. Any words of wisdom from people familiar with this area?

Thanks in advance!

AD

pu

Re: Good roadside camping spots - N. Idaho

by pu » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:39 pm

2 hours north of CDA on hwy 95 just south of the border. Copper Falls trailhead or the campground on the way in to Copper. 2 1/2 hours drive time from spokane. Also, don't go to cda and take 95 north. Hwy 2 from spokane to 95 at sandpoint. Or 41 from PF to 53 in Rathdrum to 95 north of CDA. Avoid CDA traffic/lights.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:50 pm

pu wrote:2 hours north of CDA on hwy 95 just south of the border. Copper Falls trailhead or the campground on the way in to Copper. 2 1/2 hours drive time from spokane. Also, don't go to cda and take 95 north. Hwy 2 from spokane to 95 at sandpoint. Or 41 from PF to 53 in Rathdrum to 95 north of CDA. Avoid CDA traffic/lights.

Thanks, but I was thinking somewhere a bit closer, maybe between CDA and Sand Point. Anything in that area?

mrh

by mrh » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:33 pm

Not a lot between CDA and Sandpoint. Its mostly private ground. Besides the state parks, there really is nothing. If you have checked the parks, you are aware of Farragut and Round Lake. Farragut is about 8 miles east of Athol. Its on the south end of Lake Pend Oreille. Round Lake is about 4 miles west of the 95 up closer to Sandpoint. But you would have to try to reserve a spot right away. They might already be full, especially Round Lake, which is very small, but Farragut is quite large so you may have success there if you check right away. Seems like there was a KOA or something just a little south of Sandpoint, but I can't remember really. I know there is one east of CDA on Wolf Lodge Bay, but that is a bit out of your way. Maybe do a google search on Camping - Sandpoint and you might find a private campground or a RV park that takes campers. There is probably something like that in the area.

I must second the thought about avoiding CDA itself. Cut across north of that mess or you could burn a lot of time in traffic.

stinkydog

by stinkydog » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:11 am

If you take Highway 2, there are campgrounds along Lake Pend Oreiile - just east of Newport and then another further east of Priest River. About 55-60 miles from the airport, although you'd have to drive through Spovegas on Division, so it would take at least an hour.

mrh

by mrh » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:19 am

stinkydog wrote:If you take Highway 2, there are campgrounds along Lake Pend Oreiile - just east of Newport and then another further east of Priest River. About 55-60 miles from the airport, although you'd have to drive through Spovegas on Division, so it would take at least an hour.

He could head east of Spokane on 90, then north on 41 from Post Falls all the way to the Pend Oreille River (west of Sandpoint its considered a River, though its big and looks like a lake) and then head east on Highway 200 (is that also US Hwy 2? can't remember) and get to the areas you mention without dealing with Division. Damn, Division would be worse than fighting CDA. I think if you stay on the main road north from Post Falls you will come out at Priest River, but I don't know if it remains 41 all the way. Would have to check a map.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:07 am

mrh wrote: I think if you stay on the main road north from Post Falls you will come out at Priest River, but I don't know if it remains 41 all the way. Would have to check a map.

Just did...and it comes out at Newport, not Priest River, which is kind of backtracking and probably defeats the purpose trying to save time. Anyway, how bad can Division really be at 9 pm on a Saturday? I mean, I am from Boston after all, so my definition of traffic might be a bit different than yours :P

Anyway, thanks for all the good suggestions - I think what I will do is try calling some of the campgrounds and just go to whichever one has space available.

Moni

by Moni » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:21 pm

If you go on Maple north (or Ash, whichever it is) you can avoid Division - ends at the Y. There's a small go around to get onto the Newport highway. Going through Newport is the usual way I drive if going to Sandpoint and points north. Much faster with less traffic and more camping possibilities. If you live further east in Spokane, then go out Trent into Idaho, through Rathdrum, etc. - there's a way you come out at Priest River directly.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:03 am

Ended up reserving a campsite at Shady Acres, which is right in CDA, apparently. Not exactly a wilderness experience I'm sure, but honestly we are just looking for a place to spend the night before we're on our way.

Thanks all for the info!

AD

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)