Advice for ADK Winter Trip

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
EastcoastMike

Re: Advice for ADK Winter Trip

by EastcoastMike » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:56 am

I really enjoy winter hiking and you can find a trip report from 09 in my profile. This year I'd like to do Gray, Skylight, Marcy as a day trip.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:58 pm

Hotoven wrote:My two friends and I will be on our weekend trip Jan. 6th-9th. If anyone is in the area, let me know, I wouldn't mind hiking with a good old SPer.

Last year My group and I ran into some SP'ers and had a blast!

Hey, if you don't mind the company, I will keep this in mind. I've been itching for some winter Dacks time myself and that weekend would be a good time for me.

I'll inquire again a bit closer to the actual date.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:16 pm

Thanks woodstrider for your advise and personal experience. I love hearing of others experiences and what they learned from them.

AlexeyD, PM then when you get a chance and maybe we could talk on the phone about it. My two best friends and I go on one or two winter trips every year, this will be our 4th year of doing it and our first time to the Dacks. It would be nice to have a local around. My one friend is coming over tomorrow and we will nail down our dates and plans then, but as of now I think Algonquin and Trap Dike will be our main goals.
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:23 pm

Hotoven wrote:but as of now I think Algonquin and Trap Dike will be our main goals.

Can't go wrong with either. Those are some of my favorite destinations.

The following user would like to thank Autoxfil for this post
Hotoven

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:22 am

Hey Autoxfil, we still need to climb together. Have you ever been to the Narrows? I have been there once and hope to go a few times this season.

http://www.grizguides.com/downloads/LehighValleyWeb.pdf

http://www.crisbrady.net/narrows.html
- The Dude, Lebowski

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:54 pm

Yury wrote:You can get more updated information at http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums

Thanks Yury, I found that site a few years ago and tried to join, but one needs a recommendation in order to become a member. I didn't know anyone a part of that site so I gave up on it...
- The Dude, Lebowski

triyoda

by triyoda » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:47 am

The Iriquois, Algonquin, Wright trip can pretty easily be done in one day. It don't think it is worth carrying your gear over three peaks for it and than camping out

Last year we walked from the LoJ to Feldspar Brook lean-to and dropped off most of the gear. Then proceeded to do Gray and Skylight, with just light packs. Camp at lean-to. Very cool to be able to watch sunset from Skylight summit and then only have about a 60 minute walk back to the shelter.

Plan was to do Cliff and Redfield in the morning and then head back via Avalanche pass. We had to break trail on Gray and Skylight the day before and then for Redfield (long!!!), so called it a day and skipped Cliff (also had trouble finding the heard path) and were back at the Loj by like 2:30 in the afternoon.

Gray and Skylight are pretty tough to do in a day (people do it, just hard), so to me more worthy of an overnight.

We are looking at a winter Great Range Traverse with an overnight for this year. Little ambitious, but could be epic.

The following user would like to thank triyoda for this post
Hotoven

blackhawk

by blackhawk » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:45 pm

All are good mentioned...if going as far as marcy,skylight,haystack,then you and your buddies better be prepared and in good shape.

Hey guys...let's not forget Giant. That's a blast in the winter too.

The following user would like to thank blackhawk for this post
Hotoven

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:40 pm

blackhawk wrote:Hey guys...let's not forget Giant. That's a blast in the winter too.

^^^Iz troo.

If you end up doing Giant, take the extra hour or so and hit Rocky Peak Ridge (trail cuts over from Giant about 0.1 mile below the summit).

When I climbed Giant back in March '07, I didn't do RPR at the same time -- in my defense, I was pretty shagged from doing an Algonquin loop the previous day -- and was kicking myself for not getting the 2-for-1 combo.

On the postitive side, in going back to climb Rocky Peak this summer, I had the pleasure of hiking with my kids...Giant and RPR are their 5th and 6th ADK High Peaks.

The following user would like to thank Alpinisto for this post
Hotoven

Previous

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)