Winter Ascents of Flinsch peak.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
joshjubb

Winter Ascents of Flinsch peak.

by joshjubb » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:20 pm

Anyone got any beta on climbing the north face of Flinsch peak in winter ? Any advice , would be grand !

Fred Spicker

Re: Winter Ascents of Flinsch peak.

by Fred Spicker » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:26 pm

Do you have any beta on climbing the N face of Flinsch - any time year?

EarMountain

by EarMountain » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:14 pm

Fred Spicker wrote:Do you have any beta on climbing the N face of Flinsch - any time year?

Good point Fred! I've never heard of anyone who has climbed the north face of Flinsch, winter, summer, spring or fall!
Ear Mountain Photography.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2012.

stinkydog

by stinkydog » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:07 am

Wow, are we talking about the same Flinsch peak?

Actually, on second thought - the trip *on paper* looks doable, assuming you ski in from the (closed) Two Med gate, make your way to Oldman Lake, and have a nice snow-covered hike up the nasty talus slopes to the base of the cliffs. And I'm assuming that you do this in LATE winter (say, around May), when all the various avalanche chutes, etc. have stopped running.

Only one problem from the top of the talus slope to the summit - the world's most rotten rock. But hey - I guess if you can make that work in summer, it'll probably go in winter.

RoryKuykendall

by RoryKuykendall » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:09 am

Seems pretty chill.

The following user would like to thank RoryKuykendall for this post
distressbark

stinkydog

by stinkydog » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:00 am

RoryKuykendall wrote:Seems pretty chill.

Yeah actually it could be.

If you can get past the fact that GNP is probably the avalanche capital of the continental U.S. Due to abundant snowfall and classically "U" shaped glaciated features.

Nobody really ventures up towards the Continental Divide there, except for some stupid fucker who tries to do a ski traverse every year and then acts surprised when he has to be rescued, like clockwork. You local guys know who I'm talking about... of course, he manages to get a Missoulian article written every year. Stupid fucker.

no avatar
joshjubb

by joshjubb » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:29 am

stinkydog wrote:
RoryKuykendall wrote:Seems pretty chill.

Yeah actually it could be.

If you can get past the fact that GNP is probably the avalanche capital of the continental U.S. Due to abundant snowfall and classically "U" shaped glaciated features.

Nobody really ventures up towards the Continental Divide there, except for some stupid fucker who tries to do a ski traverse every year and then acts surprised when he has to be rescued, like clockwork. You local guys know who I'm talking about... of course, he manages to get a Missoulian article written every year. Stupid fucker.

Are these articles online ? Because that's actually what I'm hoping to do. Hike/ Climb/ Snowshoe 1200miles of the US rockies , roughly following the Divide.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)