100 Highest Peaks in North America

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
gimpilator

100 Highest Peaks in North America

by gimpilator » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:14 pm

I recently noticed that one of my favorite list pages was in the adoption folder. 100 Highest Peaks in North America. The original owner Fletch did a wonderful job putting the list together but I thought I could improve it by removing the Central America and Hawaii peaks. To my pleasant surprise this made room at the bottom for a couple of other peaks which included Mount Robson and Mount Moffit.

I also thought the page would be more attractive if it included a few pictures and also a thumbnail image for each mountain on the list. Whenever possible I used photos from SP and included links to the selected image but otherwise I used outside sources for photographs. For the most part I had trouble with the St. Elias Range mountains as they are greatly underrepresented here on SP and there are very few pictures available. There were two peaks, Walsh and Strickland, for which I could not find an image anywhere on the internet. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me where to find those photos.

To my best knowledge, this list has never been completed by any climber. But it is likely that Gerry Roach came the closest, somewhere in the neighborhood of 70%. My personal count is 9% complete with one failed attempt on Iztaccihuatl. Since there is no forum section strictly for North America, I will post this thread in a couple different places.

Here's a small sampling of some of the nicer peaks on the list:

Popocatepetl #5
Fairweather #17
Hunter #21
Whitney #23
North Palisade #40

ImageImageImageImageImage

Gannett #61
Grand Teton #64
Waddington #85
Robson #99

ImageImageImageImage

CastillejaMiniata

Re: 100 Highest Peaks in North America

by CastillejaMiniata » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:54 am

I've only done 3 out of those selected 8, El Popo being the best with Gannett being a close second. I'd highly recommend a repeat trip to Izta, it has my favorite scenery out of the 5 high Mexican volcanoes.

CastillejaMiniata

Re: 100 Highest Peaks in North America

by CastillejaMiniata » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:59 am

I counted myself as doing 22% of those.

Return to Colorado