Kings Peak mid-July?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
jfall

Kings Peak mid-July?

by jfall » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:40 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm from Canada and have a co-worker from SLC. We have been planning on hiking King's Peak around July 16th - July 18th. We've been trying to figure out if we will be fine to hike around that time frame. I've heard late July-September is ideal but mid-July fits both of our schedules. Should we expect any problems? I'm flying a long distance to do this hike and really want to be sure that there'd be nothing that would prevent us from summiting, and I also need to start looking at booking flights early to get a better price.

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Kings Peak mid-July?

by Scott » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:03 pm

You should be fine. Mid-July can have a lot of mosquitoes, but since this year is way below average snowpack, mosquito populations should be lower as well. Since this winter has been so dry, I’d only expect a few snow banks by then. It should be a prime time to climb Kings Peak.

Summer does have thunderstorms, so be off the mountain by afternoon.

Have a good trip.

Return to Utah