Swiss 4K Ski Mountaineering - suggestions wanted

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
WouterB

Swiss 4K Ski Mountaineering - suggestions wanted

by WouterB » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:05 pm

Looking for some ski mountaineering options for the upcoming long weekend. Hoping to stay in Switzerland and preferably including some 4K mountains. I've already done a good deal of the mountains around Zermatt (Breithorn, Castor, Polux, Lyskamm,...), but I'm sure there's more options there. Vincent Pyramid and the surroundings might be an option, but I'm less familiar with that area. I also saw that around the Jungfrau, Mönch and Finsteraarhorn there might be some options.

Anyone got some good tips for a nice 3 day weekend? Sleeping can be done in huts, but I'm happy to take the tent as well.

gert

Re: Swiss 4K Ski Mountaineering - suggestions wanted

by gert » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:38 pm

Strahlhorn might be what you are looking for.

WouterB

by WouterB » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:54 pm

Obviously looking at multiple mountains since we have multiple days, but Strahlhorn might make a decent combo with one of the following: Rimpfischhorn, Allalinhorn, Alphubel.

WouterB

by WouterB » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:46 pm

Summited Allalinhorn from Saas-Fee in pretty bad weather. Not that easy a mountain with 0 visibility. Since predictions for today were even worse we decide to come home.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:40 am

Castor would be a good choice though it should be better done in two days from Italy. Breithorn or its central summit from Klein Matterhorn, Allalinhorn, Alphubel, Strahlhorn and Weissmies could be another ones. Dome de Neige des Ecrins or MB du Tacul in Ecrins and MB Massif in France could be skiing as well but the last is so avalanche prone. They also could be attempted the most easy heights of Monte Rosa...

Oh sorry, you have returned home. Did you ascend Allalinhorn from Saas Fee or by taking Metro Alpin :?:

WouterB

by WouterB » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:01 pm

Ascent was done from Saas-Fee, in pretty bad weather. Making even the supposedly easiest 4000'er somewhat challenging. Idea was to camp around 3600m, but bad weather and even worse forecasts made us decide that home wasn't that bad a place to be.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:29 pm

You did well Wouter though I don't think that Allalinhorn is the easiest 4000er... It is Breithorn for me

Return to Europe