Bogota, Colombia and around November/December

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
agreenstreet

Bogota, Colombia and around November/December

by agreenstreet » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:52 am

Hello all!

So, late notice and very impromptu trip; but I am flying into Bogota this coming Wednesday, Nov. 14th. Mostly traveling solo and doing the "backpacker trail", BUT, if there is anyone who lives in the area or will be traveling through and would like to climb, feel free to drop me a line! I wont be bringing anything for big mountains (most likely) but was thinking about throwing in a light trad/sport set up for cragging and maybe some multi-pitch? The only place I've been able to find some info on is "Suesca", outside of Bogota. Honestly, I don't know much about the climbing scene in Colombia, but I always love meeting folks in the area and rolling with whatever happens.

So, with all that rambling I guess here is what I'm wondering:

1- Does anyone have info on sport/trad climbing in Colombia? Or even alpine rock....?
2- Anyone on SP live in/around Bogota that would be interested in climbing? (or anyone passing through who doesn't live there?)
3- Would it be worth bringing gear for bigger climbs/mountaineering at the expense of more stuff to haul around? (I'll be heading north to Panama/Costa Rica eventually so will only have 3-4 weeks max in Colombia)
4- Any recommendations on hostels or other lodging in/around Bogota?

I really am rolling with the "No plan type of plan" so any info is better than nothing and no problem if I don't get any response!

I haven't been very active with pics/TR's/summit logs in the past few years, so if you would like to know more info on my experience other than what is on my profile, feel free to PM me.

Return to South America