Castle Peak (CA/Tahoe) spring ice?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Steve Pratt

Castle Peak (CA/Tahoe) spring ice?

by Steve Pratt » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:12 pm

My buddy and I are talking about some moderate ice climbs in the Sierra this summer. But we have never climbed together on the same rope. I thought we might want to do some short training climbs first, so I am looking for practice ice.

I have seen snow and ice in the couloirs on the back side (N/NE) of Castle Peak. Anyone climbed those in the spring? Are they just slush, or will they hold a screw or at least a picket? Looking down on them from above, they look to be about 45-50 degrees, is that about right? The access and approach are short, so I thought it would be worth asking.

Vitaliy M.

Re: Castle Peak (CA/Tahoe) spring ice?

by Vitaliy M. » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:09 pm

I have climbed them before. It could be snow that can hold a picket, or not. Depends on temperatures and weather a few weeks before your trip. Don't think you will find any ice there.

good luck

The following user would like to thank Vitaliy M. for this post
Steve Pratt

no avatar
luzak00

Re: Castle Peak (CA/Tahoe) spring ice?

by luzak00 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:05 am

Vitaly is right. You will not (in all likelihood) find ice there. Definitely no screws, though you *may* depending on conditions be able to set pickets.

Return to California