2103 Yosemite in mid-April

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
rctoris

2103 Yosemite in mid-April

by rctoris » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:01 am

I'm out in the bay area for a little while and am planning on making a two day trip out to Yosemite with my girlfriend in mid-April.

What are the current trail conditions like on trails like 4 Mile looking like? The park website says it remains closed until May but I guess it depends on the snowfall each year. Last year it looks like the road opened on the 20th of April.

If not 4 Mile up to Glacier Point, what are some other worth-while hikes? I'm looking for something do-able in a long day with some adventure packed in :)
-- Climb on Rob --

boyblue

Re: 2103 Yosemite in mid-April

by boyblue » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:28 am

My wife and I hiked the Yosemite Falls Trail one April several years ago. We ended up going beyond the falls to Yosemite Point. There was still quite a bit of snow up high and we did a little post holing to get to YP. Not much 'adventure' but a little. :)

This is a very dramatic and enjoyable hike IMO- especially in the spring when the falls are in full flow. The trail is on the sunnier south facing side of the Valley. If you go mid-week, you may even avoid most of the crowds. Enjoy! :D

tyler4588

by tyler4588 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:20 am

I was up at Yosemite Point last week and hiked dry ground all the way. Liberty Cap is a great peak that's off the beaten path. It's a bit of adventure and a lot of fun, and even a bit of solitude. Here's some pictures and a trip report.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:54 pm

This isn't exactly what you asked for, but April is a great time to hike in the Pinnacles National Park. It's a lot closer to San Francisco, will be warm (but not too hot) that time of year, has amazing scenery, and good climbing if you are into that.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:55 pm

The Mist Trail is crowded but it is the most popular trail in the state for good reason. I wouldn't take someone to Yosemite Valley for the first time without checking it out.

Even it may be closed still in mid April, but there is no reason for it. Everyone just bypasses the closure. A couple weeks ago I was there and it was closed to no effect.

So you can do a loop from there to Nevada Falls and around to Glacier Point and down the four mile trail. There is a potentially sketchy or impassable spot on the four mile trail in winter. I think ok by now but try to find an update from someone who went. You my be able to once there.

Also up Yosemite falls to North Dome to Snow Creek and down. Some cross country but doable, not sure how much snow you might encounter but if doing it in April this is the year for it.

no avatar
paulzo

by paulzo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:26 pm

Well, that is planning ahead.

I did a great hike one april up to Vernal and Nevada falls, over to glacier point (where we saw all of one other person) on the Panorama trail, and back down to the valley on the four mile. A little snow on the four mile, and that was hairy in spots since it was in fairly steep gullies that the trail crosses. If you are prepared to deal with that, then it's a great hike.

rctoris

by rctoris » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:24 am

Great, thanks for all the feedback! Looking forward to the trip.
-- Climb on Rob --

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:48 am

paulzo wrote:Well, that is planning ahead.

No kidding. :lol: "Will I be around then?"

Return to California