STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Bark Eater

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

by Bark Eater » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:18 am

Had a glorious day yesterday atop Sassafras Mtn., SC. Perfect weather and great visibility. Great addition to an Atlanta work trip with my friend Ed. #28 HP.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:29 pm

Nicely done Alpinist! Congratulations! One goal in life down, must feel great! I'm really excited for you!
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

The following user would like to thank Hotoven for this post
Alpinist

gwave47

by gwave47 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:06 pm

Florida Frank wrote:Had a glorious day yesterday atop Sassafras Mtn., SC. Perfect weather and great visibility. Great addition to an Atlanta work trip with my friend Ed. #28 HP.

Frank you are probably the only person I've ever heard comment on the visibility on Sassafras. The summit is surrounded by 350 degrees of trees with one little sliver to look out at. Glad you enjoyed your trip, I just get a laugh out of the visibility comment. Where's #29 going to be?

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:57 pm

GWave, you need to go back since it's local for you! "They" did some recent clearing and just cut the brush and trees back from two viewpoints in a big way. One is the observation platform off the edge of the parking lot. The other is along the trail just beyond the summit. I'll post some photos but it may be awhile since we are leaving on another trip tomorrow. Hope to visit Driskill Mtn., Woodall Mtn., and Britton Hill in conjunction with a work conference in New Orleans.

Jow

by Jow » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:02 pm

That must have been done since September no views for me either. I remember running around the top just trying to find actual summit for 15 minutes. I did see a bear though.

Andrew Rankine

by Andrew Rankine » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:37 pm

I consider myself a state highpointer. My dad and I have gone to do a few highpoints in the last couple years. It is a great father-son activity. So far we have done:
Humphreys (AZ)- In a lightning storm so bad the ground buzzed like a power plant and we had to lie on the ground while lightning struck around us.
Wheeler (NM)- A fun 16 mile hike with a lot of snow. Taos is a great place.
Elbert (CO)- A long trip to bag this one. Flew from Phoenix to Denver. Got in at 9 pm. Drove to Leadville by midnight, getting lost twice. Left at 5 am and did the peak. I felt terrible the whole day.
Boundary (NV)- A great area surrounded by...absolutely nothing. Drove from Vegas to Tonopah and stayed the night. Then hiked the next day. Drove up the wrong canyon and added a few miles onto the hike. I had the flu and was sick the whole time. 2 feet of snow, 10 miles or so, 6000 feet of gain. The good part was that I glissaded a bit! Saw wild horses. Great area.
Guadalupe (TX)- Drove from El Paso to the peak, hiked it without a problem, and stayed in Carlsbad. Carlsbad Caverns are worth a visit.
Mauna Kea (HI)- This spring break my dad and I flew to Hawai'i to climb this one. I had bronchitis, a sinus infection, and an ear infection. I felt horrible. My dad climbed and I stayed in bed the whole day, feeling horrible. The big island is fun.

These are some abbreviations of my stories. I hope to climb more state highpoints soon!

Andrew

Holsti97

by Holsti97 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:38 am

Andrew-
You have a great start and I agree that Taos is a great place and that Carlsbad Caverns are a great place to see. Keep Klimbin'.

sm0421

by sm0421 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Guys, I need some help also about SC's highpoint, I was there in 2008 and it was pouring, I was never sure if I actually hit the summit because there was no sign, can you tell if I was there by looking at my photo? If not I have to go back again.

jeffh25

by jeffh25 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:06 pm

You're pretty close to it. There's a USGS marker on the summit so you'd know it if you were there. I think that's around the corner from it on the little walk up. I guess it just depends on how close, close enough is.

no avatar
bergbryce

by bergbryce » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:31 am

i totally just bagged FLORIDA!!
boo friggen yah!!

gwave47

by gwave47 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:49 pm

Alex, you were close enough. You were within 50 to 60 yards and maybe 5 to 10 more vertical feet up. I wouldn't get caught up on the specifics. Rhode Island I arrived after 5pm, and I read that the owner at the time would shoot at you if you came on his property after 5pm. So I took my picture with the sign on the road in front of his property that stated this is where the highpoint is, that was good enough for me. Its kind of like golf, if you're within a few feet, it's a give me.

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:33 pm

Lillian and I enjoyed Driskill Mtn., Woodall Mtn., and Britton Hill on a 1420 mile, three day road trip from New Orleans this past Thursday - Saturday. #29-31 for me. #13-15 for Lillian. Will post a trip report when I get a chance. The endurance on this one was all about staying alert behind the wheel of the rental car!

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Wed May 02, 2012 1:43 am

gwave47 wrote:
Florida Frank wrote:Had a glorious day yesterday atop Sassafras Mtn., SC. Perfect weather and great visibility. Great addition to an Atlanta work trip with my friend Ed. #28 HP.

Frank you are probably the only person I've ever heard comment on the visibility on Sassafras. The summit is surrounded by 350 degrees of trees with one little sliver to look out at. Glad you enjoyed your trip, I just get a laugh out of the visibility comment. Where's #29 going to be?

I posted a couple of views on the Sassafras Mtn. page just to convince you guys that I wasn't giving you a hard time!

gwave47

by gwave47 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:41 pm

Nice pics Frank, I'm even impressed that they put an observation deck up there. Did you hike the trail or drive up? It seems a lot of people drive up Sassafrass not realizing that there is a really good hiking trail.

If ever anyone needs specifics on getting to the trailhead, just ask.

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Thu May 03, 2012 12:05 pm

gwave47 wrote:Nice pics Frank, I'm even impressed that they put an observation deck up there. Did you hike the trail or drive up? It seems a lot of people drive up Sassafrass not realizing that there is a really good hiking trail.

If ever anyone needs specifics on getting to the trailhead, just ask.

We drove up and then hiked the Foothills Trail down and then back up for a way on the East side of the mountain. Had to at least stretch the legs while we were there :-) I wasn't aware of the Foothills Trail until this trip. I agree it seems like a nice hiking trail. Thanks!

PreviousNext

Return to General