Sedona hike ideas

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
Klenke

Re: Sedona hike ideas

by Klenke » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:43 pm

We just got back. We couldn't get up early enough to do either of these two big peaks.
We did manage to hike up Mescal Mountain in the afternoon heat. My wife wilted at the SW notch but I persevered. Even for a little mountain like Mescal, we got to get our hands on the red rock and there were a few Class 4 moves to make it interesting. And we both managed to not impale our toes on any prickly pear.

Any of you guys hiked to the top of Mescal?

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:47 am

Klenke wrote:
Any of you guys hiked to the top of Mescal?

Sorry. I'm still trying to squeeze tequila out of an agave plant. 8)
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:38 am

Klenke wrote:Any of you guys hiked to the top of Mescal?

Yeah, it's a trip, isn't it? You have to contour around and keep looking for a decent way up... and if you go too far, you won't find one. Great views of the Capitol massif and Boynton though. That summit register still there?

Klenke

by Klenke » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:29 pm

I didn't see a register on top of that little exfoliated summit dome. But then I wasn't looking for one. (I told my wife I'd be back in 15 minutes from where I left her.) Yes, it's definitely a circuitous route when going up the southwestern draw. And more than once I tried to take a ledge only to have it peter out or become a tight, exposed crawl, causing me to turn around and go another way.

Previous

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)