Insurance?

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.
esbazz

Insurance?

by esbazz » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:28 pm

Hello all

I'm going to climb mont blanc in a week and a half and I still don't have a medical insurance.

I'm having a real trouble finding an apropirate insurance, including coverage for all medical and evacuate expenses.

Can anyone recommend a suitable insurance company, preferably which I can sign up to online?

Note: I'm currently living in France but my French is very bad so I prefer an international company in English.

Thanks,
Eran

sharperblue

Re: Insurance?

by sharperblue » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:43 am

You can go to the website of the American Alpine Club and join online; membership includes evacuation and rescue insurance automatically (but not too much - check for the US$ amount in the information section) - this does NOT include actual Medical (as in staple my vital organs back into place and give me a blood transfusion) expenses

Cissa

by Cissa » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:44 pm

Most Alpine clubs in North America and Europe provide insurance for their members, if you´re a national from the club´s country. Since that´s not my case, I usually use Global Rescue for evacuation insurance, plus a regular traveler´s insurance for medical and equipment expenses.

no avatar
jdenyes

by jdenyes » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:24 pm

Germanys alpine club offers medical insurance including helicopter rescue. REGA, swiss based, offers helicopter rescue for a low low price of 30 francs a year. If you are in the french alpine club, you should check. The swiss alpine club definitely does not include an insurance.

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:23 am

Interesting new article over at WildSnow.com. about Accident and Rescue Insurance.
Of particular interest is their discussion about Global Rescue (an American Alpine Club member "benefit")

Accident and Rescue Insurance Part One:

http://www.wildsnow.com/10177/accident- ... ac-global/

Note: will post on new thread as well.

Return to Mountain Medicine & Rescue