Trashing the wilderness-Camp Gladiator (Willow Lake)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Hungry Jack

Re: Trashing the wilderness-Camp Gladiator (Willow Lake)

by Hungry Jack » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:02 pm

That is that fine that the "guide" on the trip has made public attempts at rectification and reconciliation. It's a start.

But Camp Gladiator founder Ally Davidson, a reality TV "star", needs to make a public statement on this issue (for starters).

Davidson was on the trip. She made some shockingly heinous comments recorded on video and posted on their web site about the trip:

"We decided to take 55 people...and we're climbing two of Colorado's most prominent 14ers.

So we've got people sprawled out. There's probably room for 10 tents and we've got 30. Um, probably room for about 15 people and we've got 55, but that's how we do things CG-style."

CG style = break federal laws, violate Leave No Trace principles, and trash a delicate wilderness ecosystem?

Ally Davidson, please clarify your personal and business ethics regarding our public wilderness.
Last edited by Hungry Jack on Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:05 pm

The CG video and reports did tick me off, but there are some realities to consider. I think there has already been some snow in the Rockies, and it doesn't look like these people are all that weather savvy. Second, it was 2 years ago... a lot of the "stuff" has probably washed away since then, and I bet other folks have used the area to the same end, with the rationale that "gee, if other people did it..." And lastly they probably have some interesting logistics as a for-profit company; it might be hard to recruit "volunteers" for this.

Sad to say, but every popular backcountry campsite I've seen has a poop-and-paper field. Sometimes critters will dig up shallowly-buried poop, and rain has a similar effect. It seems that once you get to popularity, the rate of new pooping exceeds the rate of decomposition, and the fraction of idiots increases, and the number of poop-scavenging animals increases out of proportion.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:01 am

Second, it was 2 years ago...

To clarify, the incident being discussed was actually just over a week ago. This thread was posted two days after the event.

One of the videos was from two years ago; not the most recent incident. Most of the videos are from the 2010 and 2011 events.

Anyway, I was emailed by the group leader, but haven't had time to go through the email yet. Hopefully the issue can get resolved.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:48 am

Thanks Scott. In fact, the first-cited video seems to have been removed. Maybe it can be saved via site archive (wayback machine?). Seems like important evidence.

no avatar
Hungry Jack

by Hungry Jack » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:03 pm

I (and several others) posted reviews on the Yelp - Austin site regarding the incident. My review had 65 "usefuls", and another one had 39, which is a good indication that many locals have read the review.

This was a reply on Yelp to my review:

Our adventure program consists of local canoe trips, mountain climbing trips, ski trips and a camping trip. This year the group went to Kit Carson and Challenger Point. These trips are used as an opportunity to create positive connections and relationships amongst our participants, as well as empower them and provide them an opportunity to do something they would likely never do on their own. In preparation for this trip, we assembled all participants and provided general backpacking information, make a point of describing to them the seriousness of Leave No Trace, camping proximity to lakes, food clean up procedures, keeping foot traffic on the trail and respecting wildlife among other precautions. Our participants have a general love for the outdoors and want to respect and protect outdoor hiking areas. We are taking measures to continually improve the program for the betterment of the locations we visit as well as the participants.

Again, I hope the actions match the words. It is going to be very hard for a CG group to set foot in Colorado again without scrutiny from the outdoor community.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:28 am

Scott wrote: leaving a huge amount of toilet paper all over the place.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:42 pm

Good on you guys for making a difference. Let's hope the change of heart is real.

Previous

Return to Colorado