Point Of Rocks, Kansas

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
Bubba Suess

Point Of Rocks, Kansas

by Bubba Suess » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:06 pm

Totally random here, but has anyone been to Point of Rocks in Kansas? I may be hitting it up soon (long story). I wish there was a Summitpost page on it!

Alpinist

Re: Point Of Rocks, Kansas

by Alpinist » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:00 pm

I haven't been there but you should create a page for it if you go! There aren't that many places in the Midwest represented on SummitPost. We could use a few more...!

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:33 pm

Did you ever go, Bubba?

I visited Point of Rocks, north of Elkhart, Kansas, this past weekend. It is an interesting place. But reading about the history of the area may be more spectacular than the hiking and sightseeing.

The Cimarron River holds many interesting places.

One curious thing I found on the Cimarron National Grassland website is that they claim Point of Rocks is the third highest point in Kansas. I'm pretty sure that is not true, but I wonder what criteria they used to come up with that claim. Looking at the USGS topo map, Point of Rocks has maybe 10 feet of prominence.

McCannster

by McCannster » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:49 pm

I've been to Mushroom Rocks nearby, not Point of Rocks. Bet it's pretty cool. All those random Kansas rocks out there are pretty neat.

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)