Conditions for Italy Pass, Pine Creek Pass, Treasure Col?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Teresa Gergen

Conditions for Italy Pass, Pine Creek Pass, Treasure Col?

by Teresa Gergen » Tue May 20, 2014 6:57 pm

Has anyone been this far in on any of these trails? Looking for info on where the snow starts, how consolidated and continuous it is, if there are melted out dry spots to camp way up high in, say, south-facing bowls above the general snowline, and if there are difficult creek crossings. For Treasure, is the moraine rock in the valley bottom between the lakes and the col still covered with continuous snow?

Deb

Re: Conditions for Italy Pass, Pine Creek Pass, Treasure Col

by Deb » Wed May 21, 2014 5:34 am

It snowed at least 6" over 12K' today with more on the way. A very sticky snow that concerns me in couloirs and steep slopes. At least it's filling in the holes. Give it a week from Friday.

The following user would like to thank Deb for this post
Teresa Gergen

TheGeneral

by TheGeneral » Tue May 27, 2014 9:28 pm

As of last weekend, patchy snow at 10,000', full coverage at 11,000'. Plenty of snow still on the south faces, though melting quick. Lake Italy still frozen.
"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman

Teresa Gergen

by Teresa Gergen » Wed May 28, 2014 5:34 am

I went in on 5/23 on the Pine Creek trail to Italy Pass, and came out today via Pine Creek Pass, climbing Julius Caesar, UN 12918, Feather, Royce, and Merriam in a long 5 day loop. Conditions when I went in, right after the last storm, aren't even relevant now. Snow line now is still somewhere between 10,000 and 10,500, except on south slopes. New snow is pretty much gone. Old snow is reasonably consolidated until mid to late afternoon. Mostly camped on snow, except near Royce Lakes on the last night. Creeks were flowing a lot higher on the way out than on the way in; water was lapping at top edge of the first log footbridge crossing below Lower Pine Lake, and a couple of the boulders at the crossing above Upper Pine Lake were a few inches under water. Upper and Lower Pine Lakes were melted out. On the way in several days ago, Honeymoon Lake was still frozen over. No mosquitos anywhere. Lots of point-release avalanches on steeper slopes. Didn't climb any couloirs or difficult routes, just the basics.

Return to California