Enchantments

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
MMclimbhigh

Enchantments

by MMclimbhigh » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:21 pm

We're planning on an extended stay in the Enchantments next summer. Hoping to climb Dragontail (Serpentine), Prusik (W. Ridge) and Stuart (CNR). Anybody have any info about such a trip. Doesn't seem too unreasonable for a 6 day trip?! Pain in the ass to get permits, so we figured we'd climb 3 classics while we're in there. Whatcha think???

MM

ExcitableBoy

Re: Enchantments

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:35 am

Sounds pretty reasonable - these routes are all commonly done C2C in a day. You will probably want to basecamp out of Colchuck Lake and do Serpentine Arete and WR Prusik then move over to Stuart. The biggest question will be how to descend Stuart. It makes sense to approach Stuart from Stuart Lake trail so you will need to get back down to that side. Sherpa Glacier is only feasible as a descent in early season. Cascadian Couloir will get you down easily, but puts you on the wrong side of the mountain - you would have to hike up Ingal's Creek trail to Stuart and Goat passes and drop back down the north side. There is another descent off the north side, rappels and down climbing, but I haven't done it. That may be your best option.

RAdams

by RAdams » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:28 am

Unless things have changed from about ten years ago, the hard to get permits are to overnight in the upper enchantments. Colchuck Lake is a different permit, and should not be a problem. Asguard pass is so much easier without an overnight pack. Call the Leavenworth Ranger station to be sure. WTA.org can also be very helpful for current conditions and access problems.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:37 pm

RAdams wrote:Unless things have changed from about ten years ago, the hard to get permits are to overnight in the upper enchantments. Colchuck Lake is a different permit, and should not be a problem.

Colchuck Lake permits are tough now too.

MMclimbhigh

by MMclimbhigh » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:34 pm

Thanks for the reply guys. Yep, Colchuck Lake permits are hard to get without many months of advanced reservations. I'm so used to climbing wherever the weather is good, so it's kind of daunting to think of having a scheduled climb months out! We've been kicking this idea around for awhile, so I definitely want to make it happen. The more research that I do, the more I realize that CNR of Stuart will have to be on another trip. Once we are in the Enchantments, we might as well stay at one or two camps and climb as much as we can. Lots of options.......N Buttress of Colchuck, Boxtop, Colchuck Balanced Rock.......the list keeps growing!

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:34 pm

Consider the NE Buttress of Colchuck, to date one of my favorite climbs in the Enchantments: http://www.summitpost.org/northeast-but ... eak/689764

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
MMclimbhigh

MMclimbhigh

by MMclimbhigh » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:29 pm

Colchuck NE Buttress sounds fantastic! Not a whole lot of info out there about the route. Beckey description sounds pretty good, but a bit vague (classic Fred style!)

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)