Everest Base Camp Advice

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
CathyYorkshire

Everest Base Camp Advice

by CathyYorkshire » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:32 pm

Hi all, I'm thinking of a trek to EBC in November but concerned it might be too crowded. Any advice? Is there less crowded alternative to the standard route? Is November a good plan - what's the recommended month? Is it possible to charge cameras & phones at the tea houses, are mosquitos a problem?

Sorry for the long list, but any advice greatly received. Thanks, Cathy

Tonka

Re: Everest Base Camp Advice

by Tonka » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:23 pm

Do you have to go to EBC? I think you will find much better trek options in the Himalayas.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:02 pm

Is there less crowded alternative to the standard route?

On the approach there are plenty of options, but most of them meet in Lukla.

Is November a good plan - what's the recommended month? Is it possible to charge cameras & phones at the tea houses, are mosquitos a problem?

December is less crowded, but colder. If you can handle the cold, I'd consider it the ideal month.

As far as crowds go, November will be crowded, but it's really only the main route that sees the crowds and there are plenty of places to get off the main route for side trips along the way.

Some places might have places to charge cameras/cell phone, but I wouldn't count on it. Mosquitoes shouldn't be a problem.

If interested, I did do the trip to EBC a couple years ago. We did it in December and crowds were not a problem. We also did a lot of side trips and climbed a lot of smaller peaks along the way. We never did see any other trekkers at all on the side trips. Here is a trip report:

http://www.summitpost.org/a-return-to-t ... aya/838418

wkriesel

by wkriesel » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:51 pm

In Ap. 2014, every lodge we stopped at had phone recharging for about 300 rs. I did not think it was too crowded. The terrain is incredibly steep once you leave Lukla. There are few places for water to collect and mosquitoes to breed.

Thinuwan

by Thinuwan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:55 am

Hi Cathy,

I did this back in March 2013. And did it on the usual route which was not crowded at that time since it was just the beginning of the season when I was there.

With regard to charging your cameras and phones at the tea houses – Yes it is possible but the higher you go the more expensive it is. For an example if you can get the mobile charged for 150NPR at Namche at Dingboche it will be 300NPR.

During the season I went there weren’t any mosquitoes and I don’t think it is something you should worry about since as per to my knowledge they do not exist in such altitudes anyway.

Hope the above information will come in handy.

All the very best!
Cheers!

Return to Asia