Adirondack Great Range Traverse conditions?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
Couloirman

Adirondack Great Range Traverse conditions?

by Couloirman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:50 pm

Was going to do the Pemi traverse this weekend but theres way too much snow in NH to make it fun. Anyone in NY seen portions of the great range traverse this past week? Is it all still snow free for an attempt in a couple days? Supposed to snow this weekend so I am thinking Thursday might be a good day for an attempt. I assume this is a longshot and the range is likely covered in snow, but, well, you never know!

Thanks!

nartreb

Re: Adirondack Great Range Traverse conditions?

by nartreb » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:30 am

The higher peaks of the Whites got a slight dusting the other day, it's all melted by now. I assume the situation in the Dacks is similar.

Generally the forecast calls for worse weather in the Dacks than the Whites. Thursday looks like your best day.

Couloirman

by Couloirman » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:54 am

Really? Mt. Washington Observatory's facebook page posted a couple REALLY white looking pictures of the summit/neighboring peaks over the last couple days which made me the think the pemi loop and/or presi traverse was a no go. Am I incorrect? I'd much rather drive less far for a big hike!

nartreb

by nartreb » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:24 pm

Check the webcams:

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/cam/deck/

Cloudy right now but you can see there is no snow or even any rime. It's 42 degrees F on the summit of Mt Washington. Miserable weather for hiking but not exactly winter. Tomorrow still looks gorgeous:

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/ ... recast.php

Note that temps will dip below freezing tonight on the peaks (not in the valleys), so you'll have some gorgeous rime-covered trees on the loop. If you're starting early, you may want to bring microspikes just in case you find some ice on the ground on your first peak or two.

Saturday is indeed predicted to be an actual storm, with snow likely especially Saturday night.

HRS Nomad

by HRS Nomad » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:23 pm

Gothics got a good dusting last weekend, and that is the only one of the Great Range I can confirm absolutely. Some ice to be expected-there have been freezing nights in Central New York and so I imagine it is quite more serious in the peaks. Freeze/thaw likely throughout the day. Snow is lingering in the upper elevations on the trees waiting to be transfered to clothes, from what I hear. Mud- very likely. Cliffs on Saddleback and the trails in Basin will be a little sketchy. For some more info, go here - http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)