layering for rainier and winter mt washington suggestions

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
Morathyl

Re: layering for rainier and winter mt washington suggestion

by Morathyl » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:09 am

The black diamond dawn patrol lt looks prety good as well, any comment on that one ?

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:32 am

Skip the softshell and get a Squamish hoody, hands down my favorite piece of backcountry clothing.

no avatar
Morathyl

by Morathyl » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:36 am

It,s not gonna be too cold with just a wind shirt, a fleece and a base layer ? I did adams last summer and it was pretty cold up there.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:25 pm

Morathyl wrote:It,s not gonna be too cold with just a wind shirt, a fleece and a base layer ? I did adams last summer and it was pretty cold up there.

You will definitely want a hooded belay parka to throw over that when you stop or if it is very cold. 100g Primaloft is pretty standard for summer on Rainier.

rctoris

by rctoris » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:51 pm

Wow Washington and Rainier, exactly the two trips I was buying gear for a year ago, what a coincidence. The two trips are a lot of fun, weather on Washington is a real challenge but makes for a rewarding day trip.

In terms of layers, aside from base layers I had a light fleece and a Marmot ROM jacket for my softshell. I took a Arcteryx Alpha SL as my hardshell and took a Mountain Hardwear Nilas as my down jacket on both trips. The down was used really for stopping breaks near the summit on Rainier, and was worn 100% of the time once we broke treeline on Washington. I basically wore all my layers on Washinton and was fine (-15 w/o windchill). As for bottoms, I used a softshell pant (Gamma AR).

I have a partial gear list that I used posted here if you are interested: https://meandmypack.com/gbags/view/rtoris288

Have fun!
-- Climb on Rob --

no avatar
Morathyl

by Morathyl » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:14 pm

The problem with most of the brand ia that they don't offer size in xsmall. I am 5"3 so most of the small size are too big. That's why I love arcteryx their small size are really small. I think I have a good idea about what I am gonna take now due to your really good advices. My last hesitation is about the softshell, between gamma lt, gamma sl and black diamond dawn patrol lt. Have you tried the gamma sl ? that one seems perfect, what about the wind resistance and the fit ?

no avatar
logsden

by logsden » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:49 pm

EB's basically spot on.

As far as soft shell, the lightest soft shell you can find is about what you want if you go that route. Something like an OR Ferossi is perfect (or a DriClime if that's your preference). I WOULD recommend adding in an R1 Hoody (or similar) for just a little more warmth personally.

And there are a HUGE number of other options out there that will work fine.

Basically, if you are roughly in line with EBs guidelines, you'll be fine on layers. It's generally not as critical a set of decisions as many people assume when they're buying their kit. If you end up with a heavier soft shell you'll still be fine. Just unzip the thing.

Previous

Return to Gear