Help Josh Lewis Fundraiser

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: Help Josh Lewis Fundraiser

by Bob Sihler » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:56 pm

Good on you, Matt. To anyone suspicious-- I've verified that this is legit.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:55 pm

Matt, Josh, some people may be a little reluctant to chip in unless they know a bit more about the insurance situation. That site just says "insurance provider has denied coverage." Well, sure, but ... did you push it, appeal up the chain?

International claims always get denied at first. As one example, few years back my wife was denied coverage of a $4000 bill from Chamonix, France, that covered a 45-minute ambulance ride, a CAT scan and all kinds of tests, 4 days in a hospital, and a dozen doctor visits. The denial codes were for insufficient itemization and exceeding usual and customary ... even though the bill for that amount of services in the US would easily come to $50K. We took it to appeal and won (easily).

You should still be within the time limits for appeal, which are usually at least 90 days on insurance denials. Anyway, whoever is operating the fundraising site might want to add some detail on why the other avenues were a dead end, if they were.

UPDATE: I got some info from Josh privately and in his situation it's clear the insurance doesn't cover this accident.

The following user would like to thank chugach mtn boy for this post
Stefan, yatsek

no avatar
Alasdair

by Alasdair » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:38 pm

Ok Lets get this going for a fellow North Westerner and a good kid. I enjoy his enthusiasm. I will donate a print for him. How about we do an auction and I will donate the proceeds to his medical. It is a Denali photo shot from high above the Kahiltna Glacier. I will cover shipping and printing costs. Bidding starts at $50.

http://alasdairturner.com/alaska-prints/denali-west-buttress-kahiltna-glacier-overview

Send me a pm with your bid. Bidding will end Sunday night. I will update this post with the current bid amount.
www.alasdairturner.com
@alasdairturner

The following user would like to thank Alasdair for this post
Damien Gildea, Stefan

no avatar
Stefan

by Stefan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:01 pm

Maybe also explain who exactly is behind the fundraiser page, is it Josh himself or Matt or someone else?

Think a lot of forummembers would love to contribute but having Matt post this makes it for a lot of people doubtfull

Great job on the picture donation btw!

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:27 am

It is Priscilla, a local and longtime friend of Josh

The following user would like to thank Matt Lemke for this post
Stefan

Return to General