Headed to the Sierra Nevada's in May 2015

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
Red Dragons

Headed to the Sierra Nevada's in May 2015

by Red Dragons » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:20 pm

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum first post.
A friend and I are headed to the Sierra Nevadans in mid May of this year. We are from Canada and it's our first trip down we are going to be there for a week and mount Whitney Is a must climb but I have some questions any help and advise would be appreciated. We are both skilled scramblers but have just gotten into climbing so we do not want to climb this trip for safety reasons. We are also trying to do day hikes only to pack light and peak fast.

1. What other mountains in the area do you recommend?

2. Should we start off with climbing a 9 or 10000' peak to get climatized before going to 14000?

3. I understand there will still be snow and am bringing crampons are ice axes a must.

4. What kind of weather can we expect I know it's spring and so we could get a storm but what kind of temps are the averige?

5. What kind of book should I get as a peaking guide? Also what maps do you recommend?

6. Any info on permits where is the office excetera? ( I'm calling the parks office when we get our date set next week)

7. Anything else that could be good info for our journey tips, gear choices anythig at all?

Fried Chicken

Re: Headed to the Sierra Nevada's in May 2015

by Fried Chicken » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:53 am

"Free camping" back in the day, in the Alabama Hills or up at Horseshoe Meadow in a big truck... maybe things have changed since I soloed that primo crag above Horseshoe. Backtrack my posts and see what I mean, the place didn't suck (Lone Pine & Environs, under Mt. Whitney), that's for goddam sure... but there are, um, seasonal environmental conditions to be considered, including baking down in the Alabama Hills, then feeling the chill up at Horseshoe Meadow, LOL. That crag above Horseshoe Meadow is radical, I pulled a tribute solo there for a climbing partner who passed away, dude died a weird death out in the islands... tribute solo was golden, never had a better one, nothing but blue skies, sunshine, primo sun-warmed granite and heller forest views, or the treetops anyway, LOL. Meh, I'm done here, place already has enough HELLA INTERNET TROLL ACTION, LOL... PFFFFFFT. ADIOS!!!
"What lured him on was, of course, the great adventure, the eternal longing of every truly creative man to push on into unexplored country, to discover something entirely new---if only about himself."

Heinrich Harrer

Return to California