Mt Williamson George Creek

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
markv

Mt Williamson George Creek

by markv » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:55 pm

Hi, just a couple questions for anyone who might know this area well. First, there are no bear canister requirements, so any reason to bring one anyway? I'm used to generally sleeping with my food in non-canister required, non-national park, non-grizzly situations. But this is the High Sierra, so i'm asking.

Second, there seem to be 2 sets of driving directions. One is left on Foothills Rd. from Onion Valley Rd., and the other is to go left behind the Manzanar Cemetery. Is one any better than the other? I'll be risking it with a regular car, carefully, slowly.

Any other beta would be appreciated. I'm aware from the trip reports that it's quite a bushwhack...

cab

Re: Mt Williamson George Creek

by cab » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:39 pm

I was up there in April and used an Ursack. There definitely could be bears there so be careful with your food.

I drove this way (just south of Manzanar) in a 4WD truck: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1128 ... 9511802005

In a regular car, you will probably be stopped about a mile short of the trailhead. You'll definitely need high clearance beyond that and probably 4WD too.

asmrz

by asmrz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:17 am

The route going left behind Manzanar was washed out couple years ago and not passable. Don't know if the washed out gully was ever repaired. Anyone knows?

no avatar
markv

by markv » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:03 am

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm counting on getting stopped the mile before the trailhead, so i should have made it clear i'm just wondering about the best route condition up to that point.

Still wavering on whether to haul up the canister or not...hanging isn't a good option in the Sierra as far as i'm concerned. It's either canister or sleep with my food wrapped up well and tucked under my feet (in a tent).

asmrz

by asmrz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:44 pm

Regarding the canister, we went up George Creek couple years ago to do Heller. Did not bring bear canister, I have about 20 feet of thin wire and a biner, we hanged our food from a large rock by the lake at the base of Carl Heller (name of lake escapes me). Had no problems. Considering that there are very few people there ever, I would risk going without canister.

Return to California