Mt Williamson/George Creek Route Advice

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Ambret

Mt Williamson/George Creek Route Advice

by Ambret » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:19 am

Two friends and I plan to hike Mt Williamson on August 11-12 via the George Creek route. I have seen some older trip reports and Bob Burd's very helpful 2007 photos but wonder if anyone has been up this route recently. With the lifting of the Bighorn Sheep closure, is a trail any more established than earlier reports suggested? Or should we anticipate a lot of bushwacking? Also, is there a bear box at the trailhead? Any advice would be most welcome.

Langenbacher

Re: Mt Williamson/George Creek Route Advice

by Langenbacher » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:20 am

Not recent, but I went up the creek in 2008. My guesses for answers to your questions would be no, yes, and no.

You may find a little useful info at http://langenbacher.org/BarnardTrojan/, especially http://langenbacher.org/BarnardTrojan/5GeorgeCreekXingsMapAndWaypoints.png for the location of the 1st 5 stream crossings.

The following user would like to thank Langenbacher for this post
Ambret

jspeigl

by jspeigl » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:58 am

I went up George Creek last year, and I would concur with Langenbacher. It would be a major project to improve the route through the lower part of the canyon. As for bears, the trail starts pretty low in the valley, so I doubt they would be a problem. They would probably get too tired of bushwacking out of the canyon to bother with your car :).

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:52 pm

I went up George Creek part of the way earlier this year (around Memorial Day). The Creek was raging and the bushes were worse than in 2008 (went up with Harry in 2008) in the lower part of the canyon because the heavy snow had flattened the vegetation and made it denser. I did okay staying out of the bushes and finding the good creek crossings until the second to last crossing - the one before the last crossing at the Vacation Creek split. I just couldn't get across at the place we crossed in 2008 because the creek was so high. The bushes were so thick that it was really hard trying to get to the creek anyplace else. I gave up and headed back down without much skin left on my legs (I was stupid enough to wear shorts). After that mess, I opted to go up nice dry Armstrong Canyon the next day.

If the creek was not raging, I would have continued on up George Creek; so later in the season the lower part should be easier. The upper part of the canyon is great with snow, but it might not be without snow.

Ambret

by Ambret » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:02 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback and especially to Langenbacher for the links. Very helpful. I had been hoping for something more like "with the lifting of restrictions, greater traffic this year has set a more established trail up George Creek" ... but forewarned is forearmed!

Return to California