Onion Valley to Bench Lake Shortcut

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
tedryan10

Onion Valley to Bench Lake Shortcut

by tedryan10 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:17 pm

Hey Guys,

Heading to University Peak this weekend with an overnight at Matlock or Bench Lake. I've read that most, once on the side trail to Matlock, cut uphill through the woods to Bench Lake to shave some time. Is there a logical spot to ditch the trail? Pretty straight forward?

Thanks, Ted

tonyo

Re: Onion Valley to Bench Lake Shortcut

by tonyo » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:03 am

It is very straightforward. It's easy to see where Bench Lake is; follow the ridge to the right as you come up to where you can see Matlock Lake, instead of descending to Matlock. Pretty obvious, and even if you get off route there is not much area to get lost in. I'm sure we've gone a different way every time, and always ended up at the right place. BTW, the views from the summit of University are some of the best anywhere. Have fun!

no avatar
mfang

Re: Onion Valley to Bench Lake Shortcut

by mfang » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:02 pm

To add to the above post, the rocky West shore above Matlock Lake afford good views of possible ascent options to Bench Lake, and the side trail to Matlock Lake is short and doesn't have much elevation change; no more than 10 min. On the other hand, I found that from the branch point of the side trail, it's hard to see where to go, so I find the short detour to Matlock Lake the easier routefinding option.

Return to California