Winter on Mt. Washington

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
PeakAndAbyss

Winter on Mt. Washington

by PeakAndAbyss » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:36 pm

Is climbing Mt. Washington in the winter doable for someone without too much experience? I've climbed Mt. Rainier guided, and am looking for inexpensive ways to transition to unguided mountaineering. From what I've read, attempting Mt. Washington during the winter looks like it would be a good learning experience for me, and doesn't seem suicidal.

nartreb

Re: Winter on Mt. Washington

by nartreb » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:46 pm

From a technical or athletic perspective, something like the Lion's Head Winter Route will be quite a bit easier than climbing Rainier. (Technical climbs are also available, but it sounds like you're going solo.) The significant thing about Mt Washington in winter is the weather. If you get a (rare) sunny and calm day, you'll wonder why people make a big deal of Mt Washington. If you get hurricane-force winds (66% likely!) with zero visibility (pretty much a given in high wind) and near-zero temps (duh, it''s winter) you had better know exactly what you're doing.

I'd look to get some winter practice first.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:40 pm

Agreed, with good weather it's straightforward. We climbed it in worse weather than we had in AK on Denali, which made it plenty spicy (though quite fun). I'd agree that it wouldn't be the first place I'd look for winter mountaineering experience unless you have an ideal forecast.

Tools_Incoming

by Tools_Incoming » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:11 pm

A few friends and I tried Lions Head in February earlier this year. It's a beast.

I wasn't able to make it terribly far due to the weather, it was about 10 or 15 below zero and my lungs just weren't a fan. The rest of my group got just above tree line, but hit their turn around time. I generally would not recommend Mt Washington in the winter as an early "learning how to do it" climb.

no avatar
climbnutt

by climbnutt » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:47 pm

Certainly doable, but it could go either way- nice sunny weather all the way up and back, OR, blinding snow and wind, hail above treeline to the point where you literally can't see much at all. Under that circumstance many of the cairns all can look the same and there is a good chance of becoming disoriented very quickly. It's no joke so going up in winter be prepared for anything and everything. I've done Washington 12 times but only once during the winter, in February in which we hired a guide for that 1st winter ascent. Gruelling hike and takes twice as long as opposed to summer conditions.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)