Hiking in Europe in November

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
lilys

Hiking in Europe in November

by lilys » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:44 pm

hi there
I wanted to go hiking somewhere in Europe at the end of November. I was wondering if there' s any spot in Europe where you have quite stable, sunny weather at this time.
I'd like to go for around 4 days, so a weekend trip. I live in London, so have good flight connections to most of the places.
I was thinking about the island of Madeira, but I am not sure about the weather there.
in general it would be self guided trip,could be for several days, could be demanding, as I quite like a challenge.
Would you have any suggestions for me, please?

Many thanks.

rgg
Forum Moderator

Re: Hiking in Europe in November

by rgg » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:50 pm

Obviously there are no guarantees for good weather anywhere, but going south in November makes sense to me, both for warmer temperatures and longer daylight periods. Consequently, Madeira sounds like a good option. However, when I just checked the climate, I found that November is statistically the wettest month there, see https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Rainfall-Temperature-Sunshine,Funchal,Madeira. Not that it's raining all the time, but still...

A few options that I would look at myself would be southern Spain or the Canary Islands. I've already been to several of the Canary Islands both in October and in December and it was mostly dry. However, on rare occasions it can rain heavily as well. Fortunately, the Islands are all fairly small, and when it's raining on one side, it can be perfectly fine on the other. Generally speaking, the northern shores are wetter and the southern are the driest.

no avatar
fall hunter

by fall hunter » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:47 pm

hi,
I suggest you to hike the Peloritani mountains in the northeastern part of the Sicily; in Sicily november is never too cold and in plus this range has not peaks more than 1400 meters so you will face always acceptable temperatures, but if look for a good difference in altitude you will have it anyway because you can find country pats that bring you from 0 meters above the sea level until the 1400 meters. but the true must is the path named Dorsale dei PeloritaniImage that starts at the mount Dinnammare over Messina and finishes at the Rocca di Salvatesta(or Novara)after almost 70 km always on the ridge line with astonishing landscape of two seas, the Etna volcan and the Aeolian islands. In plus you can climb dolomitic mountains like the Rocca di Salvatesta(or Novara)Image and the mount Scuderi

chek it out on google heart
greetings

no avatar
fall hunter

by fall hunter » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:52 pm

no avatar
fall hunter

by fall hunter » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:54 pm

... and here you have a pic of the mysterious mount Scuderi:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... sicily.JPG

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:14 am

Have a look here

http://www.summitpost.org/madeira/179533#chapter_16

I've been on Madeira in May and December / January and there was not much of a difference weatherwise. Quite obviously you won't be able to admire the famous flowers of Madeira but the weather is rather stable all year around. You'll have trouble with trade wind clouds in the mountains but again, this is independent of the actual season.

Get up early, clouds develop around noon and retreat in the late afternoon. This is similar to all mountainous regions but weather changes are much faster on the islands.

no avatar
Mandragora

by Mandragora » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:39 am

Perhaps you can get some inspiration from this blog user that appears to be based in Greece.
There are several mountains and peaks covered and from what I have seen some gear review too.

https://olympusmountaineering.wordpress.com

no avatar
Mandragora

by Mandragora » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:03 am

Bellow a link of The Ultimate Mountaineering Guide in Greece with plenty of information on what you can do in that part of Europe.

https://olympusmountaineering.wordpress ... in-greece/

Return to Europe