What to climb early november?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Lortnoc

What to climb early november?

by Lortnoc » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:23 am

I know it's a bit late in the season but there should always be something to climb right?

Anyway, we are planning a short alpine trip 1st weekend of november and we are wondering where to go. Can you give us some suggestions?

-Max PD+/AD-
-Short routes because of daylight
-Not heavily crevassed area since there is a bit of fresh snow over the crevasses now
-Short approach from valley
-We have some 3 days for climbing so preferably all routes can be done from one hut

Thanks!

Gabriele Roth

by Gabriele Roth » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:16 pm

best answer could be the Dolomiti - Cortina range, here you can find some fine and still dry normal routes that, not crowded, are really amusing
.. or why not a long weekend in Grigna : from october to may is the best season to climb there

Lortnoc

by Lortnoc » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:00 pm

Thanks for the tips Gabriele. Unfortunately we are coming from the Netherlands so the Dolomites are a bit too far, otherwise a good idea.

Any suggestions a bit further north?

Gabriele Roth

by Gabriele Roth » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:14 pm

I think that for the N part of Switzerland (but I've never been more N of Grindelwald) november could be a little "late" ...

Pietzl

collect your shirt :-)

by Pietzl » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:21 pm

Hi Lortnoc,

You can climb the "utrechtse heuvelrug" , then you'll finally get your black shirt back after almost two years in my locker ;-)

But seriously: i've been planning for the berner oberland last weeks, and we're leaving tomorrow for one of those long weekends. This time i've got a reliable car..
Access from lauterbrunnen/Stechelberg to the mutthorn hut. Climbs: tschingelhorn (PD) and if the weather and my climbing partners permit, the breithorn (AD)

That could be a nice one? I also saw a nice target for a next trip: wettersteingebirge, the jubileumsgrät. Looks fantastic, especially with snow.

Have fun, veel plezier!
Pieter

John Climber

Re: What to climb early november?

by John Climber » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:43 pm

Lortnoc wrote:I know it's a bit late in the season but there should always be something to climb right?

Anyway, we are planning a short alpine trip 1st weekend of november and we are wondering where to go. Can you give us some suggestions?

-Max PD+/AD-
-Short routes because of daylight
-Not heavily crevassed area since there is a bit of fresh snow over the crevasses now
-Short approach from valley
-We have some 3 days for climbing so preferably all routes can be done from one hut

Thanks!

Lortnoc, I suggest you can go to High Atlas...I go from the 3rd till the 9th...a trekking and some 4000-ers...
:idea:

Return to Europe