camping regulations per jurisdiction?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
jareds

camping regulations per jurisdiction?

by jareds » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:29 am

Coming from Utah where you can pretty much camp anywhere, I still haven't figured out CA.

Can anyone provide clarity on which lands you can camp on and which you can't? (Talking about dispersed camping by yourself which is the best, not some crappy paid campground which is the absolute worst)

I am of the understanding that you can camp on National Forest / BLM Land other public lands except where there's some designated burn etc; fires are subject to permit.

On the state level, I'm not totally clear what's allowed and what's not. I thought you could use state lands the same way but keep getting different answers and can't find any good info.

I called some doofus ranger at Los Padres NF a couple years ago to ask about restrictions, he nearly popped a blood vessel, was incredulous that I would even suggest that such a thing was possible let alone legal on NF lands.

I'd love some sort of documented rules that I can refer to if I come across a ranger out in the mtns.

Feel free to PM if you're uncomfortable posting publicly.

Thanks

bobpickering

Re: camping regulations per jurisdiction?

by bobpickering » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:56 pm

“Dispersed camping” is generally illegal in the national parks and at the higher elevations near the trailheads. On the east side of the Sierra, there are signs that say something like “No roadside camping beyond this point.” Outside the parks, you can generally sleep in your car at a trailhead without being harassed, but it’s technically illegal if there are signs. Dispersed camping is legal on Forest Service land if there are no signs saying otherwise.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:50 pm

To add to what Bob said, BLM and NF lands in CA are administered much the same as other states as you would expect - they are federal lands governed primarily by federal, not state law.

"I thought you could use state lands the same way.."

No, you can't. In fact I would judge state lands to be some of your worst options. Most state lands are tied up in state parks which do not allow free dispersed camping of any sort. You will have the same issue with county parks as well. There are a few such places where you can do so (Red Rocks Canyon SP is an example), but they are generally in the desert. Your best state property for free camping by the way is Anza Borrego. That place is awesome.

Los Padres NF is federal and does in fact have some dispersed camping options, though not a lot. Many of the backcountry roads are closed to vehicles during the fire season which often extends to nearly indefinite with budget cuts and drought concerns. The ranger you talked to sounded ill-informed.

sierraman

by sierraman » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:38 am

To add to what Bob & Bob said: Normally, there higher up the bureaucratic ladder you go, the stricter the regulatory environment. Ironically, in California the reverse is true, at least with regard to camping regulations. County & State Parks are tightly controlled, federal land less so. But, its highly site specific, so, as it has been wisely observed " all generalizations are dangerous, even this one".

Return to California