Little Lakes - Camping???

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Tom Kenney

Re: Little Lakes - Camping???

by Tom Kenney » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:41 am

hgrapid wrote:Technically the land on the road side is not in the John Muir Wilderness, so we can find a primitive campsite along the road, right?

Er...no. The USFS has allowed concessionaires to operate their campgrounds. In that area, I think it's Inyo Recreational Enterprises. They post 'NO CAMPING' signs all over the place! (Not sure this is legal. It's meant to steer folks to the official campgrounds.)

There's excellent camping out on the Tablelands, and an access road between Tom's Place and Crowley goes east from US-395. Lots of flat, open space. Some nice sites with shade, too.

Carbo

by Carbo » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:38 am

I was there last weekend. There are mosquitos but it wasn't bad.

The trail head Mosquito flat campground does require a wildernss permit, but I didn't see a ranger. Surprisingly few people used the campsites even though the parking lot was full.

You can camp off the road in Pine Creek canyon or go camp near Owens river as Tom wrote above.

You can try your luck w/o a permit. I didn't see one ranger in little lakes valley or Ruby lake.
However, I would try to at least get a permit and not feel like you have to hide or go elsewhere to the great places Deb suggested
Where are you planning to hike to?

hgrapid

by hgrapid » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:40 pm

Thanks folks. I am sure it will be a zoo out there. I called the Mammoth Ranger Station and they told me that camping at the trailhead is acceptable without a wilderness permit. The issue is whether spots are available. If not, we probably will head to the Tablelands open space like Tom said. Tuff Campground may be at cost and unavailable. So we will see what is out there.

hgrapid

by hgrapid » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:46 pm

Thanks all. We had no problems staying at the trailhead campsite on July 5.

Previous

Return to California