Further lightweighting gear for summit pushes to 6000m

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
pjc30943

Further lightweighting gear for summit pushes to 6000m

by pjc30943 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:43 am

I compiled a detailed listing of gear weights for upcoming trips, and total weights are higher than ideal for a 6000m moderately technical peak (tocllaraju W face, or ranrapalca N face or NE ridge; both in early to mid July this summer).
Any thoughts for reductions, or specific advice for what isn't needed (for those routes) in your experience? The more opinions the better:)

Despite lightweighting ~5-6 lbs off already by going to different brands or models, the total weight of everything aside from a bare human climber is 57 lbs.
A summit configuration for eg ranrapalca (includes rock as well at some parts), total pack + rack weight is 34.5 lbs, would like this <30 lbs, ideally 25.

I'm hoping to cut 5 lb at the least, for a max pack + rack weight of 30 lb (which is already on the heavy side if trying to move fast); that's a total gear weight of 52 lbs.
Super bonus would be cutting 8 pounds total, for a pack + harness/gear weight of 27 and total gear weight of 49.

However, 3L water is already 6.6 lb, camera gear is already 4 lb, pack is 2.4 lb, so that is ~13 lb 'non-negotiable' weight.

For those who would find the details useful, here's a higher-level summary (not every single component is broken out)
- ropes: 2x beal ice lines are assumed as split weight for our party of 2-3. Doesn't count into pack weight, only total carry weight
- base pack, 2.4 lb in-pack weight: lidless lowe alpine alpine attack 45-55 pack + sunscreen + chapstick + hand sanitizer + compass/whistle + topo + emergency reflective bivy (3 oz)
- food/water, 8.4 lb in-pack weight, will decrease towards 0.5 as climb goes on: 3L water (6.6 lbs), lightweight platypus hydration bladder + powerade container instead of nalgene, 10x gu, 3x smaller snacks (eg gummy bears, chocolate bar), 1x larger snack (eg peanut butter or salami sandwich)
- camera gear, 4 lbs in-pack weight: ultrawide APS-C camera (Fuji X-T1 + 8 mm lens) + gopro/mount + many bats; cell phone.
- technical gear, 16 lbs total, 13 lbs in-pack/harness weight: 2x quarks / harness leashes; 2x 2ft pickets; sitta harness; 10x petzl laser speed screws; yates screamer; rock gear (.5 + .75 + 1 BD C4; blue+yellow TCU; pink tricam; #2 linkcam; half rack of BD nuts. I think this can be reduced to be more specific for a route), 10x mammut 8mm dynemma single length slings; 3x double length of same; 1x nylon single length runner; 40 ft 7 mm bail cord (10-15x ablakovs + spare for larger rock rap anchors); v-thread tool; creavasse gear (ultralight pulley / sterling sown prussik / sterling short hollow block); lightweight petzl knife; nut tool+cord+biner; strerling short purcell personal anchor; ultralight BD single trekking pole; snow claw ultralight hand shovel; 20x camp nano wiregate; 4x ultralight wild country lockers; 1x light BD pear belay biner; BD ATC guide.
- clothes, 8.8 lb total, 5.5 in pack (for reserve: use during belays, colder weather, etc): liner socks + heavyweight smartwool socks; croc gaiters; patagonia dual point alpine pants; leg base layer (in pack); lightweight patagonia base layer; patagonia R1 hoody; patagonia kniferidge jacket; rab photon x belay jacket (in pack, for belays); adidas glacier glasses; BD spot headlamp; petzl sirocco helmet; fleece cap; balaclava (in pack, for colder weather); OR alpine alibi ii glove (in pack, for belay, colder weather or wet other gloves); small TNF fleece glove liner; OR gripper glove;
- boots + crampons, 6.5 lb total: la sportiva nepal cube boots; camp nanotech XLC crampons (<-- obv not suitable for prolonged mixed, or prolonged steep ice, would bring vasaks in that case in exchange for an additional pound on the feet)

Possible weight reductions:
-Go to single beal opera + tagline for 60m rap, instead of 2x iceline. Drawback is less security while climbing, can;t do team of 3; will save ~ 2 lbs
-reduce camera weight via another camera. (gopros must stay). Not sure where to find a camera withs similar specs with similar wide angle capabilities (and viewfinder for bright mountain days).
-reflective bivy (3 oz), at the expense of our only fallback for injury protection/bivy if needed.
-snowclaw shovel (6 oz), at the expense of needing to dig in quickly for whatever reason. Snowclaw also doubles as a wrap-around emergency splint, better than back pack bivvy pads. Most inclined to leave this out, axe adze may make do but slower. Snowclaw also triples as a deadman for a rap if suitably buried, it's rated for that.
-gaiters (10 oz), at the expense of the approach possibly causing wet boots. Dry feet = important for staying warm.
-eliminate nylon sling (2.5 oz), use bail cord if needing a tied sling.
-bring less than 3L water. However I drink a lot.
-bring less food. I generally bonk if not having a constant stream of nourishment, though :)
-bring less than 3 pairs gloves. However, on a long snow/ice route like Toclla west ridge, having reserve glove = safety

Cutting out the only realistic candidates of shovel + gaiters + nylon sling removes 18 oz, so that leaves ~ 4 lb to go. If removing say 2x cams, that's another 0.5 lb, so 3.5 lb to go towards a 5 lb reduction.

infinityjellyD

Re: Further lightweighting gear for summit pushes to 6000m

by infinityjellyD » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:04 pm

At 4 lbs, my hunch would be that with some searching you can find a lighter camera setup. Of course, it all depends on how dedicated you are to having a full setup. The GoPro is wide angle and HD, no? Could you rely on that for wide angle shots, and then pick a smaller/lighter camera for you "true" camera? I use a Ricoh GR on all travels and, although it's not for everyone (it has a fixed lens), it has a ASP-C sensor and full feature control and only weighs 0.6 lbs! The way technology keeps pushing, I'm sure there are some small light but powerful options out there. Just a thought.

The following user would like to thank infinityjellyD for this post
pjc30943

nartreb

by nartreb » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:43 pm

Rope and the pack itself are the obvious places to start. That pack is probably a lot bigger than you need for a one-day push. Carry your rack and rope outside the pack. Pick a rope system based on your route and team, don't assume you always need two ropes.

Next, I'd lose the shovel.

Your main camera weighs about 1lb, I know GoPros are light (but why 2 of them??)... so I'm surprised your total is 4lbs. How many batteries are you carrying? Maybe you don't need so many? Cut down on your video time a little, so you don't drain your batteries? (Save yourself hours of editing too!)

10 oz is a lot for gaiters. If you're not in deep snow all day long, switch to low gaiters or none.

The following user would like to thank nartreb for this post
pjc30943

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:38 pm

aren't you splitting the technical gear?

If I were you I would do the following:

-leave 1l of water. Chug that 1l in the morning before leaving.
-get lighter camera
-leave cell phone
-bring 1 tool 1 axe. these routes do not require two tools i don't believe.
-either leave or wear the long underwear. you going to stop mid route to remove your gaiters, crampons, boots, harness & pants to put on long underwear?
- take 3 lockers. 1 to anchor, 2 to belay using the autolock if you have 2 followers.
-leave 3 ice screws, 2 linked cams, 2 alpine draws (you plan to place 10 pieces of pro on a moderate route? i don't think there's enough ice to place that many screws. pickets might be more useful. there's good amount rotten snow in the Blanca)
-leave shovel
-leave POS. use rope to anchor yourself.
-leave 1 pair of gloves. it's cold up there. your gloves won't get wet from the snow but more from your sweat.
-leave hand sanitizer (wtf?)

what's the weight saving with this change?

The following user would like to thank kevin trieu for this post
pjc30943

no avatar
pjc30943

by pjc30943 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:37 pm

Thanks guys for the thoughts, this is helpful to parse:

nfinityjellyD: For me, a large reason for going to the mountains is photography. The Fuji X-T1 (aps-c) is 1 lb body, 11 oz fisheye lens; i haven't found a setup with similar sensor size and wide angle, at a significantly lower weight. Totally agreed on the Ricoh GR, it looks nice, and i'd considered it too. But its maybe only 3 oz less in total if going with the Ricoh + wide angle lens, but even that is not as wide as i'd like, and it has no viewfinder for framing in bright sun. I bring a second compact (rx100, 10 oz) for zoom shots, to avoid time/contamination in switching lenses. A second zoom lens would be heavier than that compact anyway. The gopro is indeed wide angle, but nowhere near the image quality of a camera.
If you have other camera suggestions, that's totally welcome!

nartreb: true about the pack. In this case, removing frame and lid brings the pack to 2 lbs. Two ropes are full full-length raps, else a 12-pitch climb needs 24 raps. Could bring a tagline instead as mentioned (saves 2lb)
Ah, typo if I said more than one gopro; only one gopro, + a few batteries. Good call on lighter gaiters.

Kevin: nice thoughts all around, thanks.
- We can leave one phone (5.7oz) and cumulatively have 2 of the group of 3 (so any accident by one person still leaves a phone somewhere). I've heard that depending on the condition of the route, 2x tools may be needed (I haven't been on these routes, so this is second-hand knowledge). But, perhaps only for the leader, so that might save weight if the second uses a lighter axe.
-10 slings + 10 screws + the cams is for simulclimbing vs belaying, so allows placing more gear before having to stop to belay...ie potentially faster overall on easier terrain. But, there's obviously a weight vs speed tradeoff on that one. It sounds like you prefer less gear and more frequent belays on moderate routes? Also i'm only bringing 1 link cam (the #2), so i couldn't leave 2 link cams.
However, if cutting 3 screws (3.6oz x2), 2 alpine draws (2.6 oz x2), that's be 12.4 oz removed.
-Will leave PAS (3 oz)
-Will leave snow claw shovel (6 oz). Two of you saying that confirms my suspicion to cut that it too:)
-Hand sanitizer is for after going #2 (if that happens). Its only 0.4 oz weight, for 2-3 uses total, so i'll keep that.

Including a lighter gaiter (say half the weight), total of the above that could be further removed is ~30 oz. Nice!
Any other thoughts?

Return to Gear